What equipment should I keep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I was hoping Charlie would chime in on this. He has a lot of extremely useful methods in his segmented turning involving a lot of different equipment. His results prove the usefulness of all of them. You won't go wrong working with him to decide what are the best methods and equipment for you to use.

You can make due without some things, but if you're like me, whatever makes the job easier is worth having.
Charlie has already chimed in.:thumbs_up

CommGuy107

New User
Dan
Well...you have the gamut of responses. Does it help? Sell your duplicates if you have to, but be careful not to get down the road a bit and turn around looking for a tool you used to have. They're tools. Not out of fashion Hawaiian shirts or something.

Rick M

New User
Rick
If I were only going to be turning, and maybe a small project here and there, it would be a great excuse to own a small vintage saw. Not everyone's cup of tea but the styling is so cool.

7694-A.jpg IMG_2703.jpg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well...you have the gamut of responses. Does it help? Sell your duplicates if you have to, but be careful not to get down the road a bit and turn around looking for a tool you used to have. They're tools. Not out of fashion Hawaiian shirts or something.
WHAT?
Hawaiian shorts are out of fashion? oooh! gotta go take care of something!

iclark

Ivan
User
Steve, as I recall your shop is pretty well filled up and space is tight. Downsizing some of those larger tools might be a good option. A smaller table saw could work for you. The 16" bandsaw could go. A 6" jointer could replace the 8". Likewise a smaller router table. Might let you get that lathe out where you can use it more easily. Some strategic trades might let you downsize without having to buy new replacements and keep a lot of functionality.
For prepping bowl blanks, the 10" bandsaw is probably way too limiting. I opted for the Rikon 14" bandsaw with its 12" re-saw capability as the trade off for my shop. I would sell or loan out the 10" BS to get some room and keep the 16" BS for now.

It sounds like you have an excellent path to learn what you need to keep for the segmented turning prep. You might consider switching to a smaller set of rails and removing the TS extension or putting a cabinet under the extension,

My 6" belt sander seems to get used for almost all of my spindle turnings. It is used to square up and size the ends of pen blanks after the tubes are glued in, to clean up the ends after parting off, and to square up the ends of ornaments and carvers mallets so that they stand up straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS