What doesn't stick to CA glue

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
I am planning on using cyanoacrylate glue to assemble some small thin pieces. I will hold them with finger pressure until the glue sets but I want to make sure that the assembly stays flat and that the pieces are in alignment. To do this I will use a flat surface with a small fence to butt the pieces against. So the question is, what sort of material should I use for the flat surface and the fence? The last think I want is to glue everything to everything else (including myself).

Will MDF covered with polyethylene sheeting work? I have also thought of using a plastic cutting board. I would guess that plexiglass, being an acrylic, will not work, right?

I haven't gotten the glue yet so haven't been able to experiment.

Thanks

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I'v heard that delrin [a type of plastic] wont stick to CA but have not tried it myself. eagle would know!:-D

fred

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Yep.. delrin. The ca will cure on it, but easily removed from it. It'll form sort of a shell on it, but not bond to it.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have a few pieces of HDPE sheet goods that I use for my pen glue ups (especially segmented). I have found that CA doesn't bond to it, as a matter of a fact I haven't found anything to bond to it. It is the same material as the plastic (colored) cutting boards are made out of.
CA will stick to polyethylene sheeting, but it can be easily scraped off.
If you are in the Triangle area, I have some to share. It was given to me by another member and it's time to pay it forward.
Dave:)

toolman

Administrator
Chad
Ok Dave I'm A little slow here :drunken_s :slap: HDPE Sheet goods :BangHead: What is it? I thank I left some of my brain cell in High School. :oops:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am not really sure. It's a 1/2" thick, black or white, and I got it from Yellofins (Ron). It was scrap left over from a CNC operation, so I assume that it comes in bigger sheets. The pieces that I have are 10" x 24". It mills well with normal woodworking tooling, and is dead flat and stable.
Dave:)

Rescue U

New User
DOM
I have found that a piece of mdf coated with a good layer of non silicon wax works great. The waxed surface keeps the glue from adhearing. Just use a scrap piece large enough to make a good work surface, and you can then move it around as needed.

Good Luck!
Dom

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
Thanks to all. I have a few scraps of various plastic materials I've collected that I am going to test, one of which looks like the nylon nuts and bolts I use for mounting my license plates. That may be delrin but who knows ... you rarely find labels on stuff that you pull out of dumpsters.

I do have some HPDE but the pieces are a bit too small for my purpose. The wax on the MDF sounds worth a try. I believe I have a piece of mdf with formica laminated too it. Perhaps a bit of wax on that would work well.

Any secrets to prolonging the shelf-life of CA? I've heard that refrigeration helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors