What do you use to cut plywood/etc to size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbarnhardt

New User
Barney
Good Morning!

I hope everyone had enough turkey yesterday. I know I did and slept it off in the recliner last night. But that's not my reason for this posting.

I'm learning to scroll saw, or is it scrollsaw, and have a question about something I need/want to get under control.

I buy, right now, pieces of birch plywood from Lowe's and cut it to size for my project. Right now, if I cut it I have to use a handheld jig saw. Handheld jig saws, straight line cuts and me is not a good combination. Which leaves me to either take the piece to my brother-in-law, or somewhere else, to cut on his table saw. This is not the way I want to have to do this long term. This leads me to coming up with an alternative which leads to the purpose of this posting. I'm willing to spend a reasonable amount of money to be able to do this my self at home in my own shop and I need/want thoughts, comments, suggestions as to how best to do this. Keeping in mind that I'm one of those that has a small shop area and will need to be able to move whatever I end up with in and out of the "working" area. For instance I have my scrollsaw on a Shop Fox Heavy Duty Mobile Base from Grizzly.

So if you have the time, and are so inclined, I'd love to hear what you have to say on this.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
For what its wort I bought a firestorm table saw at a yd sale 20.00. But I found that I can buy 1/8 in bb on ebay cut to size and no longer worry also slones is a great place if you are looking for something a bit more special they have hickory, mahogony and cherry ply and I believe it to be fairly priced. Good luck with the scrolling I enjoy it from time to time. There are some great scrollers here Sawduster and cskipper just to name a few. If you need any thing just ask

Thanks MArk

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Plywood from Lowes is not the best for scrolling but that is another topic. If you do not have one, pick up a circular saw and a plywood blade. Any saw on sale will do. Also pick up a piece of 1/2 blue insulation sheathing.
Set the blade on the saw to just cut through the plywood. Then lay the sheathing on the floor and the plywood on top. The sheathing supports the plywood for easy cutting and can be used over and over again.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
A table saw or a circular saw with a fine tooth blade, and if you are using a circular saw, a straight edge, some clamps, and a 1 1/2-2" thick piece of styrofoam insulation are all you will need.
To use the circular saw for this, place your plywood on top of the styrofoam and set the circular saw depth of cut so it cuts through the plywood into the styrofoam, but not through the styrofoam. It will protect your workbench from the saw. Use the straight edge and clamps as a fence to guide the saw for a straight cut.

I'm not far from you. If you would like to try this before buying anything I can help you. Send me a PM.

Charley

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I use a fancier version of this:
circul3.jpg

http://wayneofthewoods.com/circular-saw-cutting-guide.html

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Welcome to scroll sawing Barney. The above posts have already offered some great techniques for breaking down plywood sheets, so I have nothing further to offer there; only want to wish you happy sawdusting.:saw:
Bruce

sawduster

New User
Robert
Barney what size are you using primarily ? As Mark said , a good resource for already cut BB is sloans
http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/ . They also carry hardwood veneer ply in smaller sizes and I have always thought their prices reasonable . Their cust service is top notch and they ship quickly
I'm not sure if any of our site sponsors offer BB already cut but if they do I would patronize them in a heartbeat :icon_thum maybe someone will speak up on this . I was fortunate enough sometime back to score a huge supply of 1/4" BB and will not need to buy any for some time to come :icon_cheers
I have not had good luck with ply from the borgs for scrolling:nah:

You have gotten some good answers and info and I learned a couple of things as well
Does this site ROCK or what ? :banana:

keep the sawdust flying bro :icon_thum

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I was fortunate enough sometime back to score a huge supply of 1/4" BB and will not need to buy any for some time to come :icon_cheers
:icon_thum
and I was fortunate to be able to connect with Robert on some of this. Definitely qualifies for what Mary Ann calls a STABLE.....Stash That Acculmulates Beyond Life Expectancy :gar-La;

sbarnhardt

New User
Barney
Thanks folks!!

As for using birch from Lowes, I did so purely for the convenience of it and figured it would be good enough for learning purposes. 4 bucks give or take for a 2 x 2 foot piece. I'll look into the other places also.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
If deciding on a circular saw, remember that the battery powered saws work fine in thin stock, no cord, and completely mobile/portable. If you are in the market for a battery powered tool, consider one of the combo deals that includes the circular saw.

I personally use corded circular saw and a guide almost identical to the one pictured by Mark (Tarhead).

Go

Don Alexander

New User
Don
+1 on the " fancier" version

also if you get a Freud 40 or 60 tooth carbide blade for that circular saw you will be much happier with the cuts than any plywood blade known to man :gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS