What do you do with your sawdust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rywilson

New User
Ryan
I've been in the shop the last few nights milling some wood. I've filled 3 trash cans with chips from the plainer and jointer.

While dumping the chips in the field behind my house I got to wondering what everyone else does. Do you bag it up and put it in the trash?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I compost or mulch it. I have a friend who puts a loto f it in his garden, but I also put it in the compost pile and put it around trees and bushes. Just don't do this with walnut.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I dump mine in the flower gardens.:cool: others will tell you that you cant use this or that species for whatever reason but I've been doing this for years and whatever species and no flowers have been harmed yet that I know of. :nah: YMMV I use walnut, mahogany, exotics of all species, maple ash ect......

fred

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Depending on what the chips are, I will mulch if I have a pile going, throw out if its mostly plywood (casework), but mostly I spread it.

Jimmy:mrgreen:

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
All of my sawdust and wood chips usually becomes mulch, unless it is from walnut or treated lumber. These go in the trash. Last year I was making outside shutters and planning a lot of fir to make them. When I told the lady at the lumber yard what I was doing, she asked if she could have some of the planer chips (not sawdust) to cover the play area of her backyard for her children. I took her 8 large size lawn/leaf bags packed as full as I could make them (a whole pick-up load). Fir chips have a sweet smell and a pretty pink/tan color, so it likely was a very pleasant surface for the kids to play in/on, for a while. At the cost of the select fir I was wishing that I could somehow glue it all back together and re-use it as lumber. Machinists can recycle precious metal shavings. It's a real shame that we can't do the same.

Charley

DavidF

New User
David
All of my sawdust and wood chips usually becomes mulch, unless it is from walnut or treated lumber. These go in the trash. Last year I was making outside shutters and planning a lot of fir to make them. When I told the lady at the lumber yard what I was doing, she asked if she could have some of the planer chips (not sawdust) to cover the play area of her backyard for her children. I took her 8 large size lawn/leaf bags packed as full as I could make them (a whole pick-up load). Fir chips have a sweet smell and a pretty pink/tan color, so it likely was a very pleasant surface for the kids to play in/on, for a while. At the cost of the select fir I was wishing that I could somehow glue it all back together and re-use it as lumber. Machinists can recycle precious metal shavings. It's a real shame that we can't do the same.

Charley

Isn't that called MDF and OSB:rotflm:

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
what about mdf dust? can that be added to a mulch pile? My DC gets hooked up to everything so it gets mixed in with the sawdust and I use mdf quite abit for jigs, practice cuts, etc.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
All of mine currently goes in the trash, regardless of type, as I don't really have a true compost pile.

Brian.

Rob

New User
Rob
I've thought about making me a compost pile, need to research that. Right now it goes into the trash.

jimwill48

James
(walnut family)
TOXICITY RATING: Moderately toxic, depending upon length of exposure.
ANIMALS AFFECTED: Horses, dogs, possibly other animals.
CLASS OF SIGNS: Laminitis, breathing problems, gastroenteritis.
PLANT DESCRIPTION: These familiar trees are recent additions to the list of poisonous plants. Little information is yet available about their toxicity. Black walnuts are large (60-80 foot) forest trees often planted as ornamentals. The bark has characteristic broad, round ridges. The leaves are alternate, pinnately compound, 1 to 2 feet long, with 13 to 23 sharply toothed, tapered-pointed leaflets (fig. 45). Often there is no terminal leaflet. The fruit is a very rough nut enclosed within a clammy glandular husk, 2 to 4 inches in diameter (fig. 45A).
SIGNS: Horses are most often affected. When horses are bedded on wood shavings containing more than about 20% of black walnut shavings (which tend to be dark in color), clinical signs of laminitis (inflammation of the laminae in the hoof) can occur within 12 to 18 hours of contact, but 24 hours may elapse before signs manifest. Consumption of the shavings may cause signs of laminitis as well as mild colic. Affected horses become unwilling to move or have their feet picked up, are depressed, may exhibit limb edema and signs of laminitis. Difficulty in breathing (increased rate and depth) may be noted. Horses on pasture may show mild respiratory signs from pollen or fallen leaves. Poisoning in dogs is reported occasionally when the seed hulls are consumed, causing stomach upset and diarrhea (gastroenteritis).
The toxin causing equine laminitis has not been clearly identified. It was once thought to be juglone, but this is not believed to be the toxin. Juglone is produced by the tree which limits the growth of other plants in the vicinity. Walnuts are also lethal to earthworms.
FIRST AID: Remove black walnut shavings immediately; cooling the hooves and legs with a hose can help. Call a veterinarian if signs are severe or if shavings were consumed. Prompt removal of shavings typically results in complete recovery. Respiratory signs in horses usually do not require treatment unless severe or long-lasting. Stomach upset in dogs will resolve when hulls are no longer eaten.
SAFETY IN PREPARED FEEDS: Reports are not clear concerning the safety of black walnut leaves in processed feeds. The bark and seed hulls are toxic, and these should never be incorporated into any feeds. In the interest of safety, any part of the black walnut plant should not be allowed to contaminate feeds.
PREVENTION: Do not use shavings containing black walnut, limit access of horses to pastures with walnut trees. Purchase bedding shavings only from reputable dealers. Do not let dogs eat walnut hulls.

James

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
The first time I heard of it was in a historical context:

Cultural traditions and archaeological research suggest that a large number of indigenous tribes across the Americas used saponin poisons from many different plants to harvest fish. The Catawba, Cherokee, and Delaware made a fishing poison from the ground bark of Black Walnut trees, Juglans nigra.

(source: http://www.survival.com/fish.htm)

While that wasn't the first place I read it, it was in some survival book I read. It made me wonder why you wouldn't just eat the nuts? :)

Nativespec

New User
David
I usually wear it, breath it and generally distribute it throughout the house-I guess that helped get my wife to finally move out.

David

J

jeff...

After I'm done snorting it - I haul it out to the burn pile and burn it - with a burn permit acceptance of course. Unless it's ERC, then I'll use it a mulch around my wife's flowers and my dogs love it in their pen - stuff last for years.

SkintKnuckle

New User
Martin
what about mdf dust? can that be added to a mulch pile? My DC gets hooked up to everything so it gets mixed in with the sawdust and I use mdf quite abit for jigs, practice cuts, etc.

Steve, MDF dust if very suitable for compost, it's refined wood fibers bonded with UF resin. The resin will readily degrade releasing the nitrogen in the urea portion of the resin, needed in the composting process. The formaldehyde is very readily biodegradable in soil micro-organisms. Same would go for particle board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS