What do you dis/like about your shop apron?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I don't like my toolbelt much - doesn't keep sawdust off my shirt and I don't like the bulk around my waist. So I think I'll try an apron for a while. At the moment, I'm considering these two:

1. http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2007002/3922/Duckwear-Super-Bib-Apron.aspx
  2. http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/...?feature=product_1&kw=apron&processor=content
The first is, I assume, available at my local Woodcraft, so I should be able to try it on before buying. The other has a lot of recommendations...and I like the idea of mesh-bottomed pockets (I rarely put fasteners in my pockets).

What do you like or dislike about your apron?

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Don't know about either of those aprons however I can say Duluth is a first class shop. I've got several of their products and more on the list...

Travis

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
What apron? Not being funny. I do not have one but I know I should.

decibel

New User
Patrick
I don't have an apron either. I do have the tool belt I picked up from home depot, but it's an absolute mess after spending time at the router table. I'd like to find one that has some pockets that have a flap to keep out the shavings. Without the toolbelt I spend more time looking for pencils / squares that I care to admit. :icon_scra

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I don't have an apron either. I do have the tool belt I picked up from home depot, but it's an absolute mess after spending time at the router table. I'd like to find one that has some pockets that have a flap to keep out the shavings. Without the toolbelt I spend more time looking for pencils / squares that I care to admit. :icon_scra

FYI, on the second one I linked to, some of the lower pockets have flaps to keep out the sawdust and the rest have mesh bottoms to let the sawdust fall through.

decibel

New User
Patrick
FYI, on the second one I linked to, some of the lower pockets have flaps to keep out the sawdust and the rest have mesh bottoms to let the sawdust fall through.

Right you are that second one does have that :thumbs_up. I may have to take the plunge for that one or maybe some others will chime in with options that I should consider.

RandyJ

New User
Randy
I use a denim apron that's probably 40 years old. Pretty simple with a chest pocket and two patch pockets down low. Because of the sawdust, I don't keep anything in the lower pockets except for a tape measure. The chest pocket is great for pencils and steel rules. It does a great job of keeping my clothes relatively clean and dust free. Much more comfortable than a tool belt.
Either of the ones you listed should do a good job. Definitely try them on if at all possible.
Good luck with your choice.

bwat

New User
Bill
After you get the hang of it, these do save a few steps and lost tape measures. One word of caution - they can get hot if you do not have a climate controlled shop.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
My daughter made mine and I like it pretty well, she is going to make a couple changes when we get time to work together on it. My son made a leather chest protector for it because they think I carve to close to myself sometimes.

Oh, and it has the NCWW logo on it. :eusa_danc

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I really like an apron especially in summer when I'm wearing shorts and T shirts. Mine is from Rockler, has the X straps and is denim. Not really expensive and has great pockets for screws, tool, etc.
:wsmile:

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I have an older/previous version of the Duluth bib apron. Very durable. The problem I had with that apron was the neck strap. It had a loop type neck strap that got very uncomfortable over the course of a full day in the shop. It looks like they have improved on that design by having the straps rest on the shoulders instead of around the neck. I also like the fact that the pockets have a mesh bottom to allow the saw dust to fall through. I will be getting one of those new ones real soon.

Currently I am using a Duluth machinist style apron. It extends down to the knees, so it provides more coverage. The downside is that it tends to get in the way sometimes. I like the bib apron better.

Either way, you can't go wrong with the Duluth aprons. They use that 'fire hose' fabric, which is very tough and durable.

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
I have one from ShopSmith that comes down slightly past my knees. I believe it has one chest pocket and a 2-compartment pocket at the bottom. I tend to use it only during the summer. In the winter I use a shop coat.

I use it exclusively for turning. I don't believe I've used it for anything else. I can't bend down in it, so I wouldn't use it to replace a tool belt (which I don't use anyway).

I like having a big pocket on the bottom (rather than several smaller ones). I can drop several things in there, and they're still relatively easy to find by just feeling around in there. I'd actually hate having to fiddle around in 6 different pockets, trying to find something small that I dropped in one.

I DO hate the dust collecting in the pockets. It even collects in the small chest one. Every time I take it off, I turn it upside down and shake it outside. It rarely comes out totally clean, but better a dusty apron than a dusty shirt and shorts.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
I like mine because the weight is distributed nicely, thick canvas like fabric, and has flaps that cover the pockets. It also has Kelly Mehler School's logo! :banana:

It is $40, but it oozes quality - though it is made in that big country overseas.

Here is a link. Mine is the one on the bottom of the page. Currently sold out. Is that a good or bad sign?:dontknow:

http://aprons.net/bao.htm

rick7938

New User
Rick
Mine is a $4 special from Harbor Freight, green in color, and works fine for me. I use it all the time.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Get one with flaps on the pockets! They fill up with sawdust/shavings fast if open.
And get cross-back straps to keep the weight off your neck.

cmccarter

New User
chester
I use an old shopsmith apron that came with my unit. the only problem I have is that the tie straps keep getting shorter and shorter. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS