What do I have here... if anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I borrowed my neighbor's truck today, and when I returned it, he said.. hey do you use hand planes? I said yep, he said, here take this. It's just sitting around rusting, get some use out of it. My question is.. what do I have here. I now own exactally 1 plane... this one..

old-plane2.jpg

old-plane.jpg

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
clowman said:
My question is.. what do I have here.

Clay, my first guess would be a hand plane.:lol: Unfortunately I can not answer your question. I just picked up a copy of Hack's book titled "The Hand Plane Book". I am just now starting to read it. There is another thread on hand planes here that have some excellent links to a couple of very informative sites. I will try to find it and post the links here for you unless someone beats me to it.

D L

Last edited:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Clay, here are a couple of links from the other thread. Both of these have additional links to explore once you go there.

From Insom: I read this series of articles by Bob Feeser (rfeeser on Woodnet) and found it to be very helpful.

From Insom also: Look at the pictorial type study on rarebear's site to learn about what is meant by plane "type".

I found both of these links interesting.

D L

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Frog? I'll need to do some reading and figure that out, then I'll post a picture.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
My guess from the pictures would be, it's a #6 smoother. Whatever it is called it is a good looking plane that you should be able to clean-up, tune-up and use for a long while. DL gave some great links, you should be able to find most of what you need to know there. Nice stealth gloat BTW, tried to sneak that one in:icon_thum

Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Stalth Gloat? Me? well... ok.. you got me Dave....

It has a No5 on the tail end of the plane in raised lettering. The front says Baily, I see some more lettering underneath the little adjustment wheel that says:

PAT'D
MAR-25-02
AUG-19-02

Edit....
I found some lettering that says
Stanley on the top of the metal piece on top

That's all the lettering I can see right off. I'll have to get some of the grime off of it. Even if that's March25, 2002, it'll be good for me.

Last edited:

woodguy1975

New User
John
Looks to be around a type 13. Good user plane. A jack plane is very useful. It will be a great user once cleaned up.

Don't be afraid to step up the rufurbishing. This No. 4 1/2 was bearly recognizable when I started. A little TLC, new blade and chip breaker, and custom purpleheart handles made this plane cut as well my My LN 4 1/2.

stanley4purpleheart.jpg

John

Last edited:

Andrew A

Andrew A
User
clowman...based on your pictures and descriptions it looks to me like it a #5 Stanley, Type 10 or 11 (pre-WW 1)...can be made into a nice working plane...depending on conditions like the sole (bottom) and more specifically the throat (opening in the sole or bottom) no chips or cracks in either. Also condition of the tote (rear handle) and the knob (front) - is it cracked or has it been repaired. These typically go for between $30 and $45 in decent shape. These make great first planes...give it a go!...If you decide to sell, send me a PM.

Here is a good link for plane typing information from RareBear on the WoodNet Forum...

http://www.rexmill.com/

Last edited:

Andrew A

Andrew A
User
Mike Davis said:
I have a 17 inch x 2.75 inch plane that is in great shape except for the Lever Cap. The cap needs to be at least 2.5 inch wide 2.75 is much better.

Any ideas?

Mike...I'd check with Walt Q on WoodNet...he will likely have a part...17" maybe around a Stanley #6 although they are listed at 18" in lenght and iron width is listed at 2 3/8"...might need to identify what ya got first :eusa_thin ...a

http://pages.cthome.net/bcrgraphics/toolindex.html

sapwood

New User
Roger
Good grief! "Plain" lucky. :mrgreen:

You definitely need a copy of Garrett Hack's "Handplane" book. Lots of pics and details on how to refurb old planes. I was lucky enough to find one in the library--kept renewing it for six weeks! Of course, it's still available for purchase and would make a great Xmas gift :cool:

Sapwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS