What do I do with all this southern magnolia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mary

Hello, My name is Mary and I'm new to this site.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on where to sell the huge magnolia tree I recently had milled into 2" thick boards 6" to 8" wide and about 8' long? I have not kiln dried it yet. I have more then I need and it would be a relief to my family if we could get some money out of it.
I already tried
The Hardwood store of NC
Raleigh Hardwood
East Wake Hardwood
Woodworkers Supply
Pleasant Garden Dry Kiln
It seems they all have wood to sell, but don't buy.
A little advice would be fantastic. It was a 100 year old tree and I feel the need to see it into good hands.

Thanks in advance,
Mary

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Welcome to ncwoodworker.net I hope, we can be of some help to you.

As for the wood, your mention that it is not yet kiln dried. Does that imply that you intend to or can have it dried?

Are you looking to sell as big lots or you willing to sell small units. And finally what kind of price or you looking for.

I'm just asking these questions, because I know that other members will ask, so I thought I get the ball rolling:-D

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hi, Mary, and welcome. Is there anyway you could post a picture or two of the wood. I have never seen Magnolia wood in board form before. If it is pretty, I could be interested in some, and you're not to far from me. Thanks, Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Mary,
Nice of you to post the magnolia. I, too, am curious about it's potential for woodworking or other usage. Of course, it make a great shade tree and I use them to provide year round privacy. Since they grow so fast, a 100 year old tree must be quite large.

You might try Klingspor Woodworking in Raleigh. They once stated they buy wood, but mostly blocks for turning I think.

Curiously,
Sapwood

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's a good idea Sapwood, I have seen what I thought to be used Ipe 2x4's there before, and they often have "strange" woods in small quantities. Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, Gator, thanks for the info. It sounds like some good wood to work with, especially because it seems like lately I end up painting most of my projects. Got keep the LOML happy. Mary, I am getting more interested in your offer every minute. Dave :)

M

Mary

Hi Guys, you didn't scare me off....

Sorry to keep you waiting, I had some laptop trouble, and I'm still unpacking but I'm back.
I will get some pictures posted in the next few days -of the boards and the tree when it was standing. It was a shame to cut it, but sadly it had to go.
Pleasant Garden Dry Kiln is in Gastonia but I can't seem to find the phone number at the moment ( did I mention I'm still unpacking?) but I'll be sure to post it when I do. - Sorry Dave. BTW we live in Oxford. Is that close to you?
I haven't been able to get through to Klingspor Woodworking yet but I'll keep trying -thanks Sapwood.
Thank you all for the info.
Type ya later...
Mary

cloudancer

New User
Greg Dake
Glad we didn't scare you off :D. If you can get it dried it sounds like there would be quite a few buyers right here... heck it might even go green, who knows.

If you have any thicker pieces I know there are a number of turners and they can even use it green 8-O wierd but true :mrgreen:. I know Red Sonja would be interested in some 3" square or thicker pieces (we can cut it down if neccessary).

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mary isn't Oxford north of Creedmore? That's relatively close for good wood. Still interested in those pics, when you get unpacked and settled in, no rush. Thanks, Dave:)

gator

George
Corporate Member
Mary -

Give me a shout, I may come by and look at some. 690-1417 I'm home most days except Monday and Tuesday (part-time job for pocket money) or unless I'm out running around. Or give me a shout and drop by the shop for a visit.

George

M

Mary

Hello again,

Yes Dave- Oxford is about 10 to 15 minutes north of Creedmore. And I'm glad to know one more good neighbor George, I'll keep your number in my phone.
I'm VERY sorry to say that I have no thicker pieces Greg. I had the whole tree milled. I'm such a newbie it hadn't accured to me. :rbedface:

Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS