What did you do in the shop this weekend?

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
I was able to prep wood for 3 chessboards. We knocked one out (bloodwood and maple). We were going to make a wenge and maple / padauk and maple but the wenge and padauk layout looks really nice! I called it a Halloween chessboard but it looks like your standard checkers board. I'm torn as to whether I go with wenge and padauk. It would be unique. I also helped my son finish his first keepsake box (mine too). He turned the little handle himself. Overall, we're really pleased with the box - it's the first time we've tried splines. And I finished my cherry desk top. Bas - I failed with the Arm-R-Seal Enduro-Var finish but I was psyched with the Odie's Oil finish (thanks to Dan Campbell for the recommendation). That's what he used on the box as well. I'll upload pics of the desk once it's installed on the mobile base.

Attachments

• 65255835213--56D0830A-01E3-447B-BDDF-3A3FEDA75572.jpg
    65255835213--56D0830A-01E3-447B-BDDF-3A3FEDA75572.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG-3497.jpg
    IMG-3497.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG-3501.jpg
    IMG-3501.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 107

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
.......... In other words,
None of really surf the net all day, we actually get these done... ;)

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
So I finished two pairs of saws, and started another. Cleaned up the work space while finishing the last of all the new file and rasp handles for all I have and what I don’t have yet.
20E1B228-B744-4E22-B621-9DA374466A5D.jpeg

6B29A665-044C-41AE-AD04-E9EAD5698D93.jpeg
77BD392C-0088-4C59-86A6-BCBE652FE91C.jpeg
757BE6EE-94AF-410B-A672-A8ABC7467FAF.jpeg

and I started a run of saw handles to replace a few I have around that need updating, and a few for back up.
29E7FF19-4FF7-4904-99C8-22AFE9EAF856.jpeg
2D59ED5F-08FB-4424-AA83-C0B4CC60666C.jpeg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
So I finished two pairs of saws, and started another. Cleaned up the work space while finishing the last of all the new file and rasp handles for all I have and what I don’t have yet.
View attachment 204347

View attachment 204348View attachment 204349View attachment 204350
and I started a run of saw handles to replace a few I have around that need updating, and a few for back up.
View attachment 204351View attachment 204352
So, you're saying you sloughed off most of the weekend?

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Way too nice outside to stay in the shop, so working on a new path to my breezeway. Today, back to miserable so puttering getting things in place in the shop. Finally got to test the pre-cat primer on the first two pantry doors. Me likey.

Scott H

Scott
User
Tested some approaches for profiling molding plane soles on scrap (ie not a real plane blank)

Round was made with a smoothing plane upturned in a vise and some circles penciled on the end grain.
Hollow was made with a scraper. The ends of the workpiece are tricky (as probably would be the mouth) and take a long time but I have some ideas to help with that. Worked pretty darn well otherwise.

Of course if you can make one of these you can use it to make the other. But it might mean I don't have to virtually finish one plane before I can even mark the iron on the second. And it might come in handy for other shapes where I'm not just making the inverse at the same time.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    245.9 KB · Views: 82
  • image1 (1).jpeg
    image1 (1).jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 77
  • image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    868.6 KB · Views: 82

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
I went with the wenge / padauk and could not be happier. I really like the border - with the thin piece of beech.

And apparently I finished my desk on 9/13 (that's what the monitor says ;)). That's much nicer than the sheet of plywood.

Attachments

• IMG-3661.jpg
    IMG-3661.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG-3523.jpg
    IMG-3523.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG-3524.jpg
    IMG-3524.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 75

MTod

Michael
Corporate Member
Was out of town for much of the weekend, but found time today to use some of my moulding planes. Here's a few pics from making the moulding that will go on the top of a spice box. The wood is air-dried walnut. These planes leave behind a super smooth, polished finish without any sanding.

View attachment 204254 View attachment 204256
Really nice crisp moldings! Do you have any details on your sticking board?

Michael

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
@MTod Thanks. The stick board's construction is pretty simple. It's 44" x 5.5" overall. The fence is 1.5" x 1.5" and slides laterally to allow for different widths of moulding. The screws at the end of the board act as a stop. You can raise or lower these to stay below the plane depth. The wood is spalted hickory left over from making my workbench top.

This was my first time using a stick board and it worked very well. I plan to add a couple more stop screws since I found it useful at times to place the moulding on the other side of the fence to reverse direction. Another solution would be add stop screws at both ends of the board.

My bench has a wagon vise and a row of bench dogs. When in use I clamp the stick board between the dogs so it doesn't move.

IMG_3052.jpg

MTod

Michael
Corporate Member
@MTod Thanks. The stick board's construction is pretty simple. It's 44" x 5.5" overall. The fence is 1.5" x 1.5" and slides laterally to allow for different widths of moulding. The screws at the end of the board act as a stop. You can raise or lower these to stay below the plane depth. The wood is spalted hickory left over from making my workbench top.

This was my first time using a stick board and it worked very well. I plan to add a couple more stop screws since I found it useful at times to place the moulding on the other side of the fence to reverse direction. Another solution would be add stop screws at both ends of the board.

My bench has a wagon vise and a row of bench dogs. When in use I clamp the stick board between the dogs so it doesn't move.

View attachment 205421
Thanks for the detailed photos. It looks like a nice flexible setup.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS