What are your perspectives on custom projects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truefire

New User
Chris
What in your mind and or perspective constitutes custom made woodworking? Is it the integration of select elements of an artist or woodworker into his/her work that display their personality and individual style in the work created?

Or is it the creation created from a vast array of customer inputs through which the client and woodworker through communication are actively involved in the development of the piece?

What i am trying to convey is:

1) Is any unique, completed item of the woodworker's unique style what makes a piece custom such as a piece developed solely out of the envisioning process of the woodworker?

or

2) Is it the customer input and the woodworker's response to make that piece to fulfill that individual's specific desires, what creates a "custom" piece?

Thanks guys for your thoughts and feedback.

Chris

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I think a custom piece has to be by definition customized to what the customer wants/ needs. The piece itself may be a standard cabinet, with the only customization being a face frame that's widened by 1/2" and then scribed to the wall. On the other hand, a table that's built entirely by the woodworker with no input whatsoever from the customer is original, but not custom.

The two often go hand in hand. For example, the customer specifies he or she wants a dining room table that's 6-7 feet long, with a drop in leaf, made out of walnut. The woodworker determines the style, joinery, accents and finish. It's both custom and original.

Then there is the third category of hand made. A Maloof-style rocker, an end-grain cutting board, anything made from a plan is not original. I don't think that in any way reduces the value of the accomplishment. Is a dovetailed drawer any less beautiful because millions have been made over the centuries?

Anyway, long winded story short, I'd vote #2.

stave

New User
stave
Chris,

I think the answer is or can be both of the points of view you put forth.

The word custom does imply that you are making something to suit someone's needs or desires. When something is custom ordered or custom made it is usually made for a specific purpose or for a specific client.

In my world I call those commission pieces although they are custom tailored from the information the client has given me. Even these pieces usually my sense and style, they always have my twist to them. People commission you for your style and your abilities. Do you ever really copy another piece?

I never put a word to my own work that reflects my desires and expressions. Usually it is referred to as my work or work done for myself but it is custom made.

Just a quick thought off the top of my head. Might add to this later after a days reflection.

Mark (Stave)

Truefire

New User
Chris
Mark, i like that. Why do we have to add some terminology or specific wording to our work? It is that, just our work. Very nicely put, if someone hypothetically speaking were to view "Chris' work" whether it had been tweaked a tad in the realm of being custom or not it would still be understood to be my work by those, the viewers.

Cool and interesting line of thought.

Thanks Bas, for the explanation of the three different forms. I have used the words 'custom' and 'original' interchangeably numerous amounts of times and after reading your reply realized i have been wrong in doing so. very enlightening. The more i learn, the more i realize how much i fail to retain and the little that i know. :tinysmile_tongue_t:

Chris

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Brits use the word "bespoke" to mean something that was commissioned to be made.

I kinda like that instead of custom, here custom can sometimes mean just that some small detail has been added, as little as different knobs or a decal applied.

Bespoke to me means I asked for this to be made a certain way to fit my needs.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
To me custom made woodworking is a piece that is built using the ideas and dimensions that the customer has agreed upon. It is built for their needs only. I did this for years up north in my shop, 100% custom work and I hope to go back doing that in the future.

Red

jhreed

New User
james
I will refer to residentual construction. There are custom houses that are built for a "customer" and when finished, is already sold. Then there are speculative houses that are hand made on site (as opposed to factory built and transported) and put on the market for sale.
James

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Other members have put it much the same as my views; different words, but the intent is the same.

Original piece: That's what you designed and put together without any outside influence. It could be shown to your neighbors, friends, etc. Someone asks: "Could you make something similar to that for us?" The transition is "something similar for our home".

Custom piece: We go from your original piece to exactly what the customer wants and how they want it to look in their home. That's discussed and agreed upon to fit their specific needs/wants. Joinery details, etc. are left to you as the craftsman.

BTW, I've never made a "custom/commissioned" piece, but this is my perspective on how it should work for customer satisfaction and potential referrals from them to future customers of your business.

Maybe not worth +2 cents, but worth an IMHO. :icon_scra

stave

New User
stave
I thought about this for awhile now and these are my new thoughts.

I never use the words custom or original with any of my clients. The reason is that both words have been abused to the point of being meaningless or at the very least suspect. To many things are advertised as custom or original and are as far removed from both as to be an outright lie.

If I copy something from a plan or picture then I refer to it as a reproduction piece. I am reproducing something that already exists.

Most of my clients bring me pictures from the internet and occasionally magazines and say I want something like this. My reply is let's talk and find more information about where the work is going to be placed, what is the environment it is going in and what do you like about the piece you brought the picture of. I then tell the client that I will work from their ideas and the picture to create a design that will satisfy their needs as much as possible. This is my commission work or "custom" piece.

My work is just that...mine. Is it original... I would like to think so but I am sure the more astute eye can pick out influences and inspirations if they have looked at enough artwork. I am no Picasso so having a truly original idea that breaks the mold probably rarely comes out of my work. Not to say that I don't try...I know I am ahead of the curve most of the time because I put a great deal of effort into subject, tuning my carving style and presentation. I guess I spend a great deal of time on what my intent is when I start to carve something, what am I trying to accomplish.

The most important thing to me no matter what you do is to be honest. Honest with the work, honest with yourself and honest with the public. I don't have a studio, I have a shop. I don't create, I work. There are many who are better than me but I get up every morning and I try to be better and do better work.

No matter what you call what you do or how you present it...the work is honest and true...and it will scream it loud and clear for all who listen...be it good or ill.

Stave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS