What Are Folks Doing As An Alternative to Schedule 2729/3034 for Dust Collection Ductwork?

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
After installing a new wall mounted 5 hp Cyclone DC I have spent much of the past 5 days trying to run down duct work sources. Initially I approached several firms about galvanized steel clamp together duct. Real sticker shock !!! So I started rethinking by reading on this subject both here and other places which talk about using 2729 S&M as a good economical alternative to steel. Several reports indicated that it was difficult but not impossible to find a sources for 6 " pipe and fittings in 2729 or 3034 S&D. I'm personally beginning to doubt the possibility.

Possible sources mentioned included Lowes for fittings; local John Deere Landscape shops; Menard's (closest store is in Ohio); and whatever ag. irrigation or plumbing supply houses that could be found in one's local area. Well, after visiting two big box stores; talking to three local plumbing supply houses; an Ace Hardware; and hours of scouring the internet for alternative sources I still have not been able to find what I need. I'm waiting for an email response from Menard's.

Two things I now understand: One, vendors were are not very familiar with the terms Schedule 2729/3034. They call what I asked for ""thin wall S&D". So I had to learn the correct lingo. Two, most suppliers have stopped carrying 2729 because it takes up too much space in inventory and does not make enough profit as it sells too cheap. They have moved in large measure to Schedule 40 and 80 "foam core" pipe and fittings. A thicker, heavier, and vastly more expensive product as has been reported here by others. In fact, in some cases the cost of PVC fittings rival their galvanized steel counterparts.

So my question(s) are (1) Have any of you discovered any recent sources for 2729/3034 in the Greensboro to Raleigh to Fayetteville corridor; and (2) Has anyone come across alternative ducting materials with the utility and economy similar to 2729/3034 .

I realize I may just have to bite the bullet and use what's available but didn't think it would hurt to check in here first.

Thanks

llucas

luke
Senior User
Ray, I feel your pain and frustration. I went through the same thing a few years back. I eventually found the 6" 2729 at AgriSuppy in Garner for a decent price (don't remember zackly, but I was happy)
The fittings (I'm sure you realize that standard schedule 40 fitting may not fit the 2729 stuff) I got from Lowes in Pittsboro and Chapel Hill...off the shelf.
Lowes sometimes carries the D35 (3034) 6" sticks but it is usually significantly more expensive. I also found the 3034 stuff at John Deere Landscaping place on Hwy 64 between Pittsboro and raleigh..but it wasn't cheap.
I missed out on a half price clearance of 3034 sticks at the Home Depot in Apex by minutes...guy bought 50 sticks just before I got there....but the Apex store may know how to get some more.
I'm pretty sure the stuff is made in NC by Silver-line Plastics in Asheville
See this url https://www.slpipe.com/product/sewer-pipe/#d-2729-belled-end-10-ft

Good luck
Luke

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Have you tried Ferguson Supply in Raleigh. They should have it

JohnW

New User
John
Should be able to order 4" & 6" ASTM 3034 from Lowes. They will ship to store and you pick up with no freight added. Their on line price is.
4" x 10ft is $13.00
6" x 10ft is $35.00

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
The Penn States economy line is nothing more than the galvanized snap lock pipe and riveted fittings you can get at Lowes (at least up to 6") - can't speak to what Oneida carries as I've not bought from them yet.

I would not use the economy metal pipe with a 5HP system. I use it in my 2HP system, but if I had a 5HP I would stick with the spiral pipe and premium fittings. You'll pay more but they will hold up much better in a system of that size. Just my humble opinion based on advice from the people selling the systems.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
The Penn State pipe is 26 ga. The hvac pipe at the big box stores is usually the thinner 30 ga. My DC is 3hp with 90% being the 26 ga stuff from Penn State and Oneida. I do have a couple of 5' sections of 6" 30 ga. pipe. I've never had any problems with it. I do always leave one 4" blast gate open in addition to the blast gate at the machine I am using.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Fittings are expensive. If you need Wye's, 45's etc., your best bet is to order online. Search for Genova, e.g. "Genova PVC Wye 6". The Wye is usually the most expensive fitting, around $22, plus shipping. Shipping charges vary quite a bit, so depending on the quantity you need one vendor may be cheaper than others. Amazon carries this too.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
6" thin wall PVC S&D (ASTM D-2729) should be available from Agri Supply in Garner and you can get 6" 2729/3034 fittings at Lowe's in their drainage department. They also have 6 x 4 x 6 wyes as well as 45's and couplings. If needed at low angle transitions, use 6 x 6 Fernco (rubber fittings used with cast iron pipe) and hose clamps (I use these at the slight angle change for the inlet to my ClearVue Cyclone). If you want some excellent 6" blast gates, get the ones from ClearVue Cyclones as they work perfectly with D-2729 pipe. (Edit: I've added a link here.)

I use economy PVC flexible duct from McMaster-Carr, but Wynn Environmental is another good source. For hangers, I use galvanized hanger strap from Lowe's (comes in 25' rolls and has holes every inch or so). I would also recommend that you upgrade your primary machine ports to 6" (I built some from 1/2 of a straight 6" coupling glued into a 3/4" square of plywood -- these accept a short length of 6" pipe to connect a blast gate or a short section of flexible duct). The photo below is on the back of my 10" cabinet saw.

100_4628.jpg

Last edited:

gritz

New User
Robert
I had trouble finding (and paying for,) PVC so I bought my (6" and 4") metal duct and fittings dirt cheap from a NCWW member who was closing his shop in High Point. His comment was "no one wants the metal anymore." After running 10 drops to my tools and sweeps I was only short a couple sticks of 6" pipe, a few reducers, the sweep fittings and five 6" wyes. I found a box of 6 plastic (not PVC) wyes on Amazon for $20 each. I used foam gasket and silver tape to make the fit airtight, and bridged the plastic with a ground wire. I bought a few reducers and a couple pieces of pipe from Penn State. I was double charged and everything came bent or beat up. It took some doing, but they finally made it right. The installed system cost me less than half what new materials would have been and works like a charm.

ck1999

Chris
User
If you need much of 4" thin wall contact j and j in Dunn. I bought some from them for gutter runoff and they had a bunch cheap. My understanding is they get alot of 4 inch because their vendors ship stuff inside of them. The normally have some tape on ends but should not hurt, or be hard to clean off. I am not sure if they have the 6 inch. Also I believe their is a Ferguson in Fayetteville which should be closer.

Chris

LB75

George
Ruehlen Supply Company in Concord has the 6" 2729 pipe in stock, I just picked up 7 sticks of it a couple weeks ago. They also have fittings, but it's hit or miss on which ones they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS