What am I doing wrong guys???

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
The last few bowls I have turned I tried using a jam chuck that I made out of a piece of Dogwood = I made it round - rounded off the edges on the end - I seen where some ppl use leather on the end and I have seen some use sand paper put in between the chuck and the bowl for gripping - I have used the later because I do not have any leather - Everytime I have tried doing this the bowl usually gets lose causing me to apply more presure with the tail stock. When I do this it puts a dent inside the bottom of the bowl :BangHead: What do you guys do that use a Jam chuck? LOML said that the dent in the bottom looks like I made it there and looks fine - but I want it to be smooth all of the way - The pear bowl that I just turned - I tried using a JC on it and I had to give up because it came lose twice - gave me a slight heart attack:eek: - so I chuck it back up in the 4-jaw chuck and had to re-turn the outside and clean up the inside bottom because of the dent and cut it off with the cut-off tool - any suggestions would be grateful:gar-Bi

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Make a little (or a big, or several different sizes) wood cup that fits on the tail pin and is hollow enough to fit tight against the bottom of the bowl.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
At wally world they sell packs of self adhesive foam they say covering the end of the jam chuck with the foam helps it grip. Others fill the bowl with paper towels. I have been reading alot about this latley as I am going to need one soon. Good luck let me know if you find something that works ill need the knoledge you gain very soon.

Mark

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Make a little (or a big, or several different sizes) wood cup that fits on the tail pin and is hollow enough to fit tight against the bottom of the bowl.

Mike do you have a picture of this _ I can't picture what you are talking about in my old noggin

NCTurner

New User
Gary
Ditto on the Wmart foam, but a bigger jamb chuck will work too, with good pressure and slow speed. LIGHT cuts.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Sorry, i had to go check on the horse.

Make a recess that fits your tailstock live center.
IMG_0123.JPG

View image in gallery

Turn the other side to fit the bottom of your bowl, I'm not cutting it here. I'm just using the tool as a straight edge to show the curve in the end.

It will hold the bowl tight against the jam chuck without marking the bottom of your bowl.
I didn't have a bowl out in the shop so I used a can of wax.

They really only take a few minutes to make. You can make one to fit a bowl and then change it next time or make a new one each time.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Never tried useing a jam chuck.But just a thought :widea: could you use a piece of router pad folded up?:dontknow: If it will hold a piece while routeing it seems like it would hold it while turning it:icon_scra.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
I leave my Talon chuck on the lathe after removing the bowl after completing the inside and doing the finish sanding. The only thing left to do is to finish the bottom of the exterior and turn off the tenon. I open my check jaws to about 2" (can vary according to the size of the bowl). A couple of years ago, I had a laminate floor installed in my kitchen and had almost a roll of the rubberized (is that a word) underlay left. I use three layers of that, cut into about 4" squares as the padding between the bottom of the interior of the bowl and the chuck jaws. It helps in centering it if you have a hole in the tenon that was left by the tail stock spur when the bowl was initially mounted on a face plate when you turned the tenon. Put the rubber in the bowl, the tailstock spur in the previous hole and crank it tight to the chuck centering as necessary. I take light cuts when finishing the bottom and turning off the tenon. So far, I haven't had a bowl to come off and no damage to the interior bowl bottom.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
"Thanks Mike for showing me how to do that - I will try it out the next time I turn a bowl:icon_thum"
Ditto on this thought Mike I learn so much by accident here.

Also just went to wally world in the craft section bought a pack of 30 pcs adheasive foam 4.95. They also have 30 round patches(non adheasive)

PChristy

New User
Phillip
"Thanks Mike for showing me how to do that - I will try it out the next time I turn a bowl:icon_thum"
Ditto on this thought Mike I learn so much by accident here.

Also just went to wally world in the craft section bought a pack of 30 pcs adheasive foam 4.95. They also have 30 round patches(non adheasive)

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: man I just got back from wallyworld and I was going to check on these and forgot all about them :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS