What am I doing wrong (2 part problem)

Opensightryan

New User
Ryan
I have been trying to flatten the back of this iron for what seems like a couple of days in total, and I cant get this corner straightened out. Its from a new Stanley Sweetheart low angel jack and is as marked A2 steel. I am using DMT dia-sharp stones. I have coarse, fine, extra fine. I have been using water to lubricate with and have tried trend oil and simple green. I have also cleaned the stones with bar keeps friend and water.

If you look in the corner you can see the scratches running left to right no matter how hard or long I sharpen I cant get this corner taken care of. (This came off my coarse stone)
MVIMG_20200119_154801.jpg

Another pic of the same corner. (This pic is off my extra-fine stone!!!)
MVIMG_20200119_155223.jpg

The second question is how is it that the extra fine stone cuts faster/harder than my coarse stone (1st one from coarse, 2nd from extra fine, the pics are not reversed). I have had the coarse longer and used it more but I think I have got over the break in period for the fine and extra fine.

Please let me know what ya'll think I am about out of it.

Thanks, Ryan

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Mark the end of the iron with a black sharpie and then run it over the coarse stone for 10 or so strokes.... That should show if the iron is low in that corner

Opensightryan

New User
Ryan
I have that corner is low. It just a patience problem I guess but I'm still baffled by why the coarse stone is not cutting all that well.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
They wear...... my x-coarse DMT is about the same as my coarse these days.

You can always pick up some 60/80 grit paper and use that for the initial material removal. Save some wear on the stones.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Are you sure you are keeping the chisel flat as you move it on the stone?

Would you like to come over after work one day and let me take a stab at it?

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
They wear...... my x-coarse DMT is about the same as my coarse these days.

You can always pick up some 60/80 grit paper and use that for the initial material removal. Save some wear on the stones.
Yeah I have been very displeased with how my diamond stones have worn. My x-coarse is basically worn out from lapping tools.

Opensightryan

New User
Ryan
I finally got it flat. Then I sharpened it again and stroped it. And it shaves hair, and red oak. I'm not much on the hand tools, I just started and I am really enjoying them but I'm pretty poor with their use.

Mike I would like to take you up on your offer, and stop by one day maybe you could diagnose what's up with my stones, what I need to improve....

I think that's the last of the A2 for me way too much work. I'd rather touch up an edge on a softer steel than speed countless time prepping an iron.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Ryan-------If you have got the back flattened, the bulk of your work is over now. You should not have to do anything but hone the bevel from here on. At least that is what Curtis Buchannan told me about my draw knife-----------my first 6 hours with him was lapping the back of my draw knife on water stones. Makes a world of difference in using that tool.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
I finally got it flat. Then I sharpened it again and stroped it. And it shaves hair, and red oak. I'm not much on the hand tools, I just started and I am really enjoying them but I'm pretty poor with their use.

Mike I would like to take you up on your offer, and stop by one day maybe you could diagnose what's up with my stones, what I need to improve....

I think that's the last of the A2 for me way too much work. I'd rather touch up an edge on a softer steel than speed countless time prepping an iron.

It looked flat everywhere except the tip... In the future, it might be worth it to just sacrifice 1/8" of the iron to the grinder, instead of lapping your life away. You likey weren't doing anything wrong... Stanley did you wrong shipping a poorly finished iron.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS