What a tangled web...

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Of Power cords. I have a couple extension cords, that I use a bit in the shop. My problem, is storage. I usually, quickly wind them around my hand an elbow and toss them somewhere, usually a corner, or on top of a toolbox. ( which could be part of my problem ). They always get tangled up when I need them. It also seems that I also tangle them even more when I move them from the initial landing stop where I tossed them, since I nearly always toss them somewhere it will be in the way later on. Anyone out there have a good way to store power cords to where they don't get tangled when you need to unwind them? Perhaps, my habit of winding them around my elbow and tossing them in the corner is what needs to be addressed?

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I cut my extension cords down to manageable lengths. I took 25' cords and cut them in half, etc. I am never further away from a plug than 10-12' anyway so I don't need longer cords. I hang them on the wall or on my work benches.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
When I built my shop, I put in way more plug-ins than I thought I would ever need. Boy, am I glad that I did! I have long power cords on all my stuff and that takes care of the problem. I did have a problem with the air hose before I bought a self-retracting reel. That might be good for your electrical cords.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Can you wire in drops from your ceiling?

I always plug the two ends into each other then wind the same way you do. If you wrap the last bit around the middle 3-4 times, holding your finger or thumb under one of the windings, then tuck the end through where your finger was & pull tight, it might help keep them wrapped. Since I'm shopless, I know well the "drop cord" nightmare!

Or, just go cordless.:gar-Bi

MTCW.

sawduster

New User
Robert
Since I have not finished wiring my shop .......OK I've not really started even though I have a panel right there ( elek-trickery ain't my long suit :embaresse )
I use a 5 gal bucket. i popped a hole in the side for the male end to stick through, leave it by the outlet and then I just loop the cord into the bucket. I pull out what I need at the time and when I'm done it just goes right back into the bucket and makes it's own loops

skeeter

New User
Charles
Extension cords are a necessity when flying. I'd rather have one than a parachute because they're guaranteed to catch on something before you hit the ground. They will even hang up on a basketball.

Glennbear

Glenn
Extension cords are a necessity when flying. I'd rather have one than a parachute because they're guaranteed to catch on something before you hit the ground. They will even hang up on a basketball.

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm: That is sooooooooooooo true, usually what it hangs up on is something breakable or spillable :gar-La;

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Clay,

Here a couple of things I have picked up over the years to resolve this issue....

35 Ft Retractable(from Northern Tool).....

for my collection of 25 Footers(2 bits apiece at Big Lots)....

Cable Cuff from the BORG for my 12 Footers

Cable Reel(Lowes) for 100 Ft of yard tool extension....

Outa My way!!!:gar-Bi....

As you can see, if I didn't do something, I could be easily held hostage in the garage by all the copper wire.:gar-La;:gar-La;
Also, I think it is obvious that I could do with some more outlets in the garage/shop.:confused_

Hope that this gives you some ideas.

Wayne

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
In my shop I have quad outlets every 6 feet around the walls, just above the benches and I have one of those auto rewind extension cord units hanging from the ceiling above the major assembly area. For most of my long outside use cords I have some of those plastic winders like pictured, but a contractor friend recently showed me a better way. Now I 've started coiling up my long extension cord like he does, and it works!! If you haven't seen this method you really need to pay close attention to a local contractor when he coils up his extension cord (ever see the mess hanging from the back of his truck?). I'll try to explain it, but it's not easy to understand without a demonstration. It may take a contractor friend to show you how.

Here goes:
Double your cord so that both the plug and receptacle ends are together. Now go to the loop end and tie a very loose half hitch ( 1/2 of a granny type) knot of the two cords forming the knot, with the loop end sticking out a foot or so (loop size about 12"-16" diameter). Now reach through the hole in the knot that you just made and grab the two cords about 12-18" from the knot and pull this point through the hole, making yourself a new knot hole or loop. Make this hole about the same size as the first one so you will end up with very loose knots. Now reach through this new knot hole and then repeat the process until the whole cord is a bunch of knoted loops. Now you can just jumble up this pile of knots and throw them into the corner. When you want to use your extension cord, just find the plug and receptacle ends and pull them out of the pile. Each knot will untie one at a time as you pull so you can have any length cord that you need and the remaining cord will stay tied in knots. To put it back, just find the knot that's nearest the plug and receptacle ends and begin the knot tying process again until the whole cord is again completely in knots. Your cord will look like it's tangled beyond belief, but it will always be easy to untie/untangle and use. The process is something like knitting. Remenber how easy it is to unravel a sweater if you get hold of just the right strand? Only in this case, your yarn is 14/3 ga and plastic covered.

I won't be buying any more cord winding hardware for my long extension cords since my contractor friend taught me this trick. Maybe I can also reduce the BORG's bottom line a bit by telling all of you how to avoid buying power cord winders.

Charley

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Lots of great suggestions here! I think that I'll try the free method first! Thanks Charley and Bas! And everyone else.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Bas,

That's the method, only the friend who showed it to me started his slightly different. I like the way the guy in the video did it even better. It's a perfect tangle free way to store a long extension cord.

Charley

J

jeff...

What you need is a electric electric extension cord winder and no I didn't stutter :gar-Bi

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I don't need or use extension cords anymore in the shop (no air hose extensions either). The air hose reel is by Reelcraft (I replaced the rubber hose with Flexeel) and the power cord reel is from Rockler (20A cord with triple outlet on the end)- both are excellent reels.

P2170168.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS