What’s the Strangest Thing You Found in Wood?

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I was cutting a 2x4 yesterday and cut right through the middle of it bullet. What are the chances? When you think about it, often times you probably only cut a very low percentage of any piece of wood, or tree. My guess is that bullets, screws, nails and wire would be the most common things found. Let me know what you have found.
A946F0A7-DAE2-4169-B683-B81D43F54A70.jpeg
B273B2E1-1DFD-4DBB-B981-A5237D47826D.jpeg

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
While working with my grandfather at the sawmill we found a musket one time. Hair raising experience for sure. Glass insulators were found a few times. Once we found the bones of a small animal, possibly a squirrel. All of these things can ruin a circular saw blade or at least knock out a few teeth. These things Always made him angry.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
I found this in the fireplace ashes last year.
Must have been imbedded in a log or I would have come across it splitting and stacking.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221102-201735_Photo Editor.jpg
    Screenshot_20221102-201735_Photo Editor.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 78

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I found this in the fireplace ashes last year.
Must have been imbedded in a log or I would have come across it splitting and stacking.
Looks like barbed wire. The tree served as a fence post.

Echd

C
User
These "finds" make owners of SawStops very unhappy!:eek:

I dont think it should be a problem unless there is contact with a ground of some sort. I could be mistaken. Now if it touches the table or something conductive I'm sure that would do the trick...

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
In 2002 a big white oak (207 years old) fell on our property. When sawing it on my mill I hit 2 lead balls. I think they were civils war era musket balls.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I dont think it should be a problem unless there is contact with a ground of some sort. I could be mistaken. Now if it touches the table or something conductive I'm sure that would do the trick...

While I have never run into any wood embedded metal, it is my understanding that it would trigger the SawStop's breaking mechanism. That said, I have triggered the break on a couple of occasions, but inattentiveness was the problem.

Last edited:

Echd

C
User
While I have never run into any wood embedded metal, it is my understanding that it would trigger the SawStop breaking mechanism. That said, I have triggered the break on a couple of occasions, but inattentiveness was the problem.

Here is Sawstop's FAQ entry:

What happens if the blade comes in contact with a nail or staple in the wood?
Generally, the safety system will not activate when a nail or staple is cut. Although conductive, these objects are not large enough to cause the safety system to activate unless they are grounded to the table or operator when they contact the blade.

Personally I'd rather not chance it, but I guess you never know until you cut it.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
50+ years ago it wasn't uncommon to find bullets in framing lumber. We/dad had a supplier in Star, NC that would cut timber off the Fort Bragg military base, so.......

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS