WG Rocker Class Day !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodguy1975

New User
John
A good way to start off a new subforum I thought.

Well, it was another long day for the rocker boys. We begain the day at 9:00am and ended it after 6pm. We started the day by grinding the carving marks out of our seats.

brandonseat.jpg

Once that was complete we moved on to the dowel jointery for the arm. Much of the drilling is done by sight with a spotter checking square, but the back legs could be done using the drill press.

CRW_1492.jpg

By lunch everyone had their arm jointery complete. Steve here is also checking out his crest rail design to make sure he likes the way it looks with the chair.

CRW_1496.jpg

The afternoon was spent grinding the arms and designing the spindles. I didn't get at pics of the spindle fitting process, but they are completely custom to the user.

armshaping.jpg

Before shaping the arms I gave the maloof bandsawing technique a try on the arms. This is even more risky than the seat bandsawing, but it really saves grinding time. Here is Monty giving it a go. This is definitely not something you want to try at home. The guys had experience from doing the seat sculpting and I gave them the choice to try it. Everyone did very well, but it isn't something I encourage folks to try.

CRW_1498.jpg

It was a good day. The guys will be home preparing their spindles and polishing up their arms. Next class will all be about finishing and fitting the spindles to the seat and crest rail. The guys did also shape out the seat and mark the hole locations for the spindles.

Thanks for viewing.

John

Last edited:

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Thanks for the pictures. Funny, I look forward to these reports so much after class day. I can't wait to see them. Nice work everyone.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Day 3 that is!!

I ment to have the class number in the title. :)

I enjoying posting the progress for the guys. They are working hard and marking good progress.

John

Monty

New User
Monty
Yea it was a LOOOOOONG day, but I feel like we really got a lot accomplished. After all was said and done, we all ended up with some pretty dang decent arms, if you ask me!!!

IMG_2192.jpg

IMG_2195.jpg

Getting those arms fitted and in place means we finally got to sit in our chairs with the arms in place and the seat carved --- NICE!!!! :mrgreen: We are finally starting to get a good idea of the "fit" and comfort of our chairs.

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Talk about a long day! Its awesome to see our progress actually start to come together. Leaning over the bench grinding all day will make you sleep really good at night as long as sleep overcomes the pain in your back from leaning over! We had fun though.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Good followup pics. :) I actually got the itch and finished off my arms and begain carving the front of my seat. It as much fun the 4th time as it is the first time. :lol:

woodguy1975

New User
John
I'll have to do something about using those benches for grining. Need some pnuematically controled height adjustment. :lol:

Thanks,

John

HardRock

New User
Gil
Looks like everyone had lots of fun.........tell that guy at the drill press to get some safety glasses on....... an eye injury could sure spoil the fun quick.

woodguy1975

New User
John
HardRock said:
Looks like everyone had lots of fun.........tell that guy at the drill press to get some safety glasses on....... an eye injury could sure spoil the fun quick.

LOL, Steve is in trouble.... :)

I have to say I have a bad habit of not wearing eye protection in the shop unless I'm routing or grinding. Might need to jerk up on the safety a bit.

John

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Yep I am ready to get back to it.....if all of this shop projects weren't in the way of actual projects I would be in a good shape :)

Monty

New User
Monty
hehehe......

norm18_200x250.jpg

Before we get started, let's take a moment to talk about shop safety. Be sure to read, understand, and follow all the instructions that come with your power tools. Knowing how to use your tools safely will greatly reduce the risk of injury. And remember: there's no more important safety rule than to wear these: safety glasses.

:lol:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Looking good guys.:icon_thum Those rockers are really starting to shape up now. I look forward to seeing the next installment of WIP photos.

D L

HardRock

New User
Gil
From the looks of things, I guess I'll have to get one of them Norm shirts if I ever want to produce any good work.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Several tool purchases have been helpful but nothing elevated my woodworking skills like that first plaid shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS