WG Finishing Class Sept. 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Ok guys and gals here is the next class that is going to be offered by JSR Woodworking.

This will be a full 1 day class. Basically we will go until everyone is saturated with information and can't take it anymore. LOL

Here are some of the things we will be covering:

• surface prep. (sanding, scraping, hand planing)
  • types of finishes available
  • air oxidized versus solvent based finishes
  • wipe on finishes (Arm-R-Seal, Waterlox, Tried and True)
  • mixing your own shellac
  • spray finishing (both solvent based and water based
  • dye stains, pigmented stains, glazes, and toners
  • make your own grainfiller
  • custom pigmented stains
  • Maybe even a little french polishing :)
  • Rubbing out a Finish
We'll also talk about what finish is right for what application.

Cost: $80 (NCwwer discount)
Date: Sept. 16th
Starting Time: 9am.

Please PM me or post if you are interested.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
John,

I wish that I could. This is a topic I need a lot of help with. I'd ask you to recommend a good book on finishing, but I know that the best way to learn this stuff is through feel, not reading about it. I wish you well with the class,... it'll be terrific, I'm sure.

Ray

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Ray,

Jeff Jewitt wrote a book called Great Wood Finishes that seems to be pretty good. I believe they have it in the TWA library. DaveO has mentioned a couple more titles in previous posts that he can probably recommend to you as well.

D L

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Thanks D L,

I've certainly heard Jeff Jewitt's name before. I'll check the library at the next TWA meet. Hopefully DaveO will be there too and I'll be able to pick his brain a bit.

Ray

DaveO

New User
DaveO
In addition to the Jewitt book mentioned I found Bob Flexnor's "Understanding Wood Finishes" to be very enlightening. Also Howard Acheson is a wonderful resource for finishing information. If you compiled all his answers to questions on Woodnet and other forums (including this one) you would have another excellent finishing book.
Dave:)

woodguy1975

New User
John
Talking about hijacking a thread. LOL:rolf:

I have both of Jeff's books, Bob's book, and have taken a couple other finishing classes. All have been helpful.

dtomasch

New User
David
WG...
I am interested in the class, but I need to check my schedule. I am hoping to have a nice Maloof chair to finish!:eusa_danc Thanks, again, for the great experence, I really had a great time and am planning on comming down next weekend if you till have space.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Oh, yea, screw the books. You'll never learn by just reading about it. The best thing to do is to take a class, like Woodguy's Finishing class :icon_thum :icon_thum

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Oh, yea, screw the books. You'll never learn by just reading about it. The best thing to do is to take a class, like Woodguy's Finishing class :icon_thum :icon_thum

Dave,

You're right. Books may be good references but there's no better learning than to jump in and get your hands dirty.

John,

Sorry about hijacking the thread. I'm betting the class will be a great experience for anyone who attends.

Ray

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
FWIW.. Jeff Jewitt's book is also in the Wake County Library system. If you have signed up to have an online account, you can request it and have it delivered to a library of your choice...

woodguy1975

New User
John
I just ordered all the materials for this class. Boy, I'm going to run the first class at a loss. The folks taking the finishing class will see every finish known to man!!!

Too much fun.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Still room if anyone is interested. It is going to be the finishing class to end all finishing classes. :)

PM me or post if you are interested.

Thanks,

John

M

McRabbet

Sure wish I could be there, John, but duty calls. Nancy and I are driving to Apex to look after our grandson for the weekend. But I am planning to come to Hickory for the Klingspor Show on the first day -- will probably go to the National MWTCA meeting in Tennessee the next day...

Rob

woodguy1975

New User
John
Sure wish I could be there, John, but duty calls. Nancy and I are driving to Apex to look after our grandson for the weekend. But I am planning to come to Hickory for the Klingspor Show on the first day -- will probably go to the National MWTCA meeting in Tennessee the next day...

Rob

Cool, we are definitely going to have to have a get together both days. The show will be a blast. :)

woodguy1975

New User
John
Reminder: Class Starts at 9am.

Just a reminder for the folks taking the finishing class this weekend that class will start at 9am.

Thanks,

John

Monty

New User
Monty
Re: Reminder: Class Starts at 9am.

I think I'll be able to come to your class, if you still have a spot available. I promise I won't throw spitballs this time. ;-)

woodguy1975

New User
John
Re: Reminder: Class Starts at 9am.

I think I'll be able to come to your class, if you still have a spot available. I promise I won't throw spitballs this time. ;-)

Sure we've got room for ya. I'll be sure to have a corner I can send you to when you miss behave. LOL

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors