WG - Chest of Drawers Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Well, I didn't get any time to really work on the chest this weekend. I was working on other projects that needed to get out of the shop. I had a few RPs to make for my recent cabinet job. They were for components that weren't installed yet. Got to put the new shaper to use. :)

Here is a quick pic of the chest as it stands.

2-26-chestdrawerfronts.jpg

I've been working very hard on the grain matching. It can be a little scary because you have one screwup and you ruin the entire look of the peice. I made it and boy was the grain matching worth it. Here is a detail pic of the grain matching.

2-26-grainmatchexample.jpg

I just wish the figure in these boards showed in the pics. It will light up when I get some finish on them though. :D

Also, a little update on the shaper. I finally ran the DC and put it to use on the raised panels today. Here is one of the panels. One pass with zero tearout. The different between using a RT and shaper is astonishing. It ran the entire profile without even knowing the board was there.

firstshaperresults.jpg

Thanks for viewing,

John

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Great work as usual John. I can't wait to see it all assembled, finished and polished up. Bet it's going to be eye popping.

M

McRabbet

John,

The grain match on your drawer fronts is, to put it mildly, freaking awesome!! You did a great job selecting the stock in the first place and then went to the obvious trouble to marry the best figure with the drawer faces -- SUPERB WORK! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

BTW - You and your shaper SUCK! One pass and a 3/4" raised panel is born ....!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow! John your talent is continuously amazing. I hope that you get $12,000 for that fine work.

Dave:)

woodguy1975

New User
John
DaveO said:
Wow! John your talent is continuously amazing. I hope that you get $12,000 for that fine work.

Dave:)

I could only wish. The commission for this peice was not a great profit for me, but I approached it from an experience perspective. Next time I'll charge 2 to 3 times what I did for this piece.

John

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
wow, that's some amazing work there. I just hope the person you are making it for appreciates the detail of your work. Most people don't actively notice grain matched drawer fronts, but stuff like that makes all the difference. I am very impressed

b4man

New User
Barbara
Thanks for showing us the progress John. Having actually seen the chest in your shop under construction makes me appreciate how much you've accomplished and just how beautiful it is.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
John,

Excellent work!! I like the drawer layout. How did you come up with proportions of the drawers?

Bernhard

woodguy1975

New User
John
Bernhard said:
John,

Excellent work!! I like the drawer layout. How did you come up with proportions of the drawers?

Bernhard

I actually started with the golden triangle so that every drawer row was a different height. The customer didn't like that so I resized things a bit to get the bottom two drawers of the top and bottom stacks the same height. This was the result. The bottom 3 rows of drawers could have really been 3 instead of 4 drawers and still worked well, but I like the look the 4 drawers give me.

Thanks,

John

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You just have to keep rubbing in that shaper. If I could put it in the back of my truck I would come and get it.:)

The dresser looks awsome and the grain matching is a real plus. What are you going to do with the drawer fronts cock bead, round overs? That is the point I would get really scared of screwing one up....

woodguy1975

New User
John
The drawer fronts get a roundover with the 1/16" shadow line. I'll do that process just before final drawer assembly. I didn't want to beat up the profile during the dry fitting. Don't worry, it will be many passes taking very little at a time to ensure these fronts survive. It may be the first 5 pass roundover in history. :)

Thanks,

John

sapwood

New User
Roger
Awesome John, the grain matching is superb. It's so nice I'd have to buy new clothes before using it. :mrgreen:

Sapwood

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Wow!! WOW!!!!

I looked at the assembly in your shop just 10 days ago and you have done a tremendous amount of work since then.

Great job on the grain matching, John. Your approach to the job has been one of careful study and planning and meticulous execution for sure.

I can't wait to see the final product. Take your time and bring that supertanker into port!

Chuck

P.S...I agree with Travis about the shaper comment...Rub, Rub, Rub it in!!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Fabulous work John! Will you be saving these PICS for the customer? At least with progress photos they would have more of an appreciation for all of your hard work!

Excellent job!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS