western red cedar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwwood49

New User
Ronnie
OK guys' educate me. I'm going to try a strip canoe and everything I've seen calls foe western red cedr as the top choice of stripping. I'm guessing the difference in western and eastern cedar is the fewer knots in the western cedar? Is this correct? Also where do I find western cedar?
After reading a lot of the posts on this site I'm sure Someone can and will answer. My experience is in cabinets and not canoes so any extra advice or comments will ceryainly be appreciated. Tanks for any thoughts, advice or just comments.

jwinecoff

New User
John
Try Anchor Hardwoods in Wilmington. I bought WRC from them about - wow, 14 years ago?? They can bead & cove them for you too.

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
I used juniper for the one I built many years ago. Juniper works very well for this - light and easy to work. It is also called Atlantic white cedar. You should not have much trouble finding it locally.

I have seen some strip kayaks made from yellow (tulip) poplar, too. As long as the wood is well-encapsulated with epoxy you won't have to worry about its durability. It's a bit light color-wise, but you could put in a few contrast strips - walnut looks real nice.

Good luck - and post some pics of your progress

-G

Dan Bowman

New User
Dan Bowman
It's not real close to you, but Capitol Lumber in Raleigh usually has a good stock of RWC. Not cheap, but a good variety of dimensions. I've gotten nice and absolutely clear 2X6 there. If you have time, please post pics of the project - it's something that I would love to try someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS