Western barnwood wanted

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
I am looking for barnwood commonly seen on old buildings out west. Their wood ages different than eastern wood and becomes a golden to medium brown while our aged wood turns grey. I don't know if this is because of the sub-species of wood, usually pine or because of the dry conditions and low humidity it ages in.

I am putting together a couple picture frames, so I don't need much, but the only thing I have been able to find on the internet shows grey weathered wood.

Any leads, sources, or links would be appreciated.

Wally

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I've never seen aged western wood in person or in pictures. I've read that all commonly used wood species turn gray with exposure and age. I wonder what species were used in a barn or house "out West" that behaves differently as it ages.

An interesting question.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
The grey colored barnwood will generally be the wood that was on the outside of the barn. The brown/tan colored wood will have been interior stuff. Its all sitting under the same sun so I'm not thinking it's a east / west thing.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
their wood ages different than eastern wood and becomes a golden to medium brown while our aged wood turns grey

Thanks. I was also thinking that it was interior wood and there should be no difference East/West.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Western wood commonly used would be Douglas Fir, Ponderosa Pine, Sugar Pine, Grey Pine, Western Cedar and Redwood, Cottonwood (on the coast Blue Spruce) for soft woods. There is another- California Sycamore
For hard woods Oak, Ash, Box Elder, Tan Oak (Part of the Beech tree Genus), White Elder, Madrone, Laurel tree.

The one I have seen sun bleached out to grey most common, is Doug Fir and Some kind of Oak.

wooduser

New User
Lecil
You might contact the people on the Barnwood Builders Show on the DIY channel. They have been out west and may have what you need. They are located in West Virginia. Also, the Black Dog Salvage people in Roanoke, VA, have salvage lumber.

Lecil Alexander

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
If you can't source the wood you're looking for you can maybe re create the look you need. Take a look at Gadgets and Grain blog and Youtube. He goes into quite a full discussion and demonstration to show how to achieve variations.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The OP clarified this in his post #3. It's interior wood-maybe the interior of a barn or shed!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS