weird rust question.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Most of my shop time lately has been focussed on getting a boat ready for the water and I'm only a little behind, so not much in the wood working department lately. So I was much surprised today to see my bandsaw table covered in rust. None of the other tools or machines in the same space exhibit any rust and the BS had a lovely orange coating. Good news it came right off with a quick 400 sanding. I followed with a scotchbrite pad to get into the crannies and then sprayed with rust inhibitor. still- I'm curious. Why would I get such a generous coating of rust on one surface and none on any of the others.

FlyingRon

Ron
Is it anywhere near the output of the airconditioner or such? It might be that it happened to be the first cool hunk of metal the moisture in the air condensed on.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
the shop is an unconditioned basement garage. The saw may be more exposed to outside air as it is in line with the outside door. But there are two lathes within 3' of it with no rust in sight. I did look up to see if there might be condensate dripping on it, but don't see a source. Like I said- weird.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS