We need Moderators and Administrators...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeH

New User
Mike
In taking the role of webmaster it's come to my attention that we are in need moderators and even more important right now, we need at least one or 2 more administrators that can do coding. I'm asking for volunteers for both moderator and administrator positions.

The most important quality I'm looking for is dedication to making the site better and willingness to serve. We can all supplement in any areas that you may need help in.

Please consider volunteering and initially post in this thread. Once I've got several volunteers I'll contact each individual and we can go from there.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I may consider being a moderator again, but I won't censor any posts. Just do helpful stuff.

If I can't just do helpful stuff then forget it.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I can volunteer as a moderator.

I may also be able to help out with coding, although I don't have a lot of experience with all these ultra-modern programming languages and such.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I can volunteer as a moderator.

I may also be able to help out with coding, although I don't have a lot of experience with all these ultra-modern programming languages and such.

The degree of experience with modern languages is really less critical than your flexibility in learning HTML5/CSS, PHP, JavaScript, and, of course, MySQL.

If you are a flexible learner and a good debugger and coder in general, then I suspect you could be more helpful then you might expect if you are prepared to learn.

I'm not a PHP/JavaScript coder either, my experience lies more with C/C++, Perl, BASIC, and Assembly, very little with respect to PHP or JavaScript, so it has been a crash course for me as well (which is a bit of a challenge given my short-term memory deficits). Fortunately http://www.php.net and http://www.w3schools.com are very useful resources for learning the relevant languages used by this site.

In many respects, the biggest challenge of coding for vBulletin 4.x is digging through vBulletin's code to figure out how best to interface with it since there is no official programming reference for vBulletin.

Anyone who wishes to step up and volunteer to be considered for an Admin or Moderator role (or any other support role) should always remember that you are part of a *team*. The existing Staff and Admins will always be there to step in and lend a hand whenever you need help, especially during the initial learning phase. If you make a mistake and bring down the site (BTDT) we are literally just a phone call away to bail you out and talk you through the fix.

It can require a significant investment of time from time to time -- but it can also be flexible -- it is also very rewarding in that you really are giving back to this site in a way that, done right, really improves the experience and enjoyment of our many hundreds of active members. The larger our team, the more flexible the hours and time investment become since the load can then be shared amongst like Staff. If this site means as much to you as it does to myself (and our other Staff/Board), then volunteering is a great way to give back.

PS - My reply is really specific to the Admin role. For those considering Moderator duty, your requirements are very different and *much less* technical.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
I have tossed this around before and I would be willing to put my name in as a moderator.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I don't want anyone to think that I am ignoring your posts. I plan on giving this thread a couple more days and will most likely be contacting everyone on Sunday. Thanks for your willingness to volunteer and help out with the site.

M

McRabbet

Now that my terms on the Board of Directors are over, I can again volunteer to be a moderator. I'd be happy to keep an eye the Health & Safety and General Woodworking forums.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I've reopened this thread temporarily to make a public apology to all that offered to be admins and moderators. As many of you know I lost my job several weeks ago and I've been going wide open trying to line up work even if it's temporary. I was able to contact an old boss and since we parted on good terms and stayed friends he's been able to put me to work as a contractor working on some IT projects he has going on. The commute is about an hour and a half one way and the hours have been pretty long.

All of this to say I've been blessed to be busy and make a paycheck, but I let everyone down that replied to this thread along with the rest of the members and BOD's that put their trust in me to do the Webmaster job.

Please accept my sincere apologies for dropping the ball on this and a big THANKS to Steve for helping me out on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS