"We be jammin'..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
ryobi-tek4-allplay-job-site-music-player.jpg

This is the TEK4 All-Play Jobsite MP3 Music Player by Ryobi Tools. It is water, dust and impact resistant, and plays all types of music files. It will hold 2 giggaflops of music, which translates to around 500 songs, depending on the file size. This player will rattle your eardrums for approximately 72 continuous hours thanks to the 4-volt lithium-ion battery. Just clip it to your superhero belt or attach it to the armband and carry it around the jobsite or workshop.

Before using the All-Play, the battery should be charged using the supplied 5-hour charger. It is a little annoying that it should take this long, considering my 18-volt Bosch drill only takes an hour. Granted, an MP3 player will not normally cause a work stoppage on a jobsite, but when you get that Justin Beiber song in your head you would give anything to remedy the situation. (See my Dead On 18-Inch Annihilator Utility and Wrecking Bar review…) </SPAN>Ryobi offers a quick charger, but with the extra long play time (I have only charged it one time in three months), I can wait five hours.

Loading music is super easy. If you are familiar with MP3 players, you will know that many come with software, either on a CD or on the player itself, which you must load onto your computer. The All-Play is a “plug-and-play” devise that you plug into the USB port and it shows up under the My Computer folder as another drive. You can then “drag-and-drop” your music files onto the player. You can set up folders inside the player to create a playlist. Music placed in the folders will play first; everything else will be played based on the name of the music file. By changing the Mode setting on the player, you can go from Random to Continuous play.

Keep in mind that this is not an IPOD. There is no fancy screen listing song title or artist, and finding that one song you just have to hear can be an exercise in patience. There are only seven buttons (2-volume, skip forward, skip back, power/play, mode, hold), so interface is pretty simple. It is great to have in the shop, either attached to the belt (which can be a challenge trying to keep the head-phones cord out of the way), strapped to your arm (just don’t put it on too tight), or plugged into your favorite jobsite radio. Depending on the type of work I am doing, I use either the head-phones or the AO-Safety Work Tunes. The sound is great in both.

What would I change? Like I said before, the 5-hour charger is a little ridiculous. I mean come on; it’s only 4-volts. The head-phones supplied suck. Do yourself a favor and buy some aftermarket head-phones you can beat-up on or better yet, pick up some AO-Safety Work Tunes. It is a bit bulky and heavy. You will get some funny looks when you take it to the gym and people will ask if it is some type of medical devise. Most everyone that has asked me about it stops in their tracks when I tell them it is a heavy-duty, water, impact and dust resistant music storage system. And, oh yeah, it will play for 72 continuous hours on one charge! Seriously, how often are you in a nice, clean, gentle, dust free environment? This isn’t a cute, dainty, tinny-bopper player. This one is for us!

Questions/Comments: projectwoodworks@gmail.com
Project Link: http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/tek4/lifestyle/RP4510
My website: http://www.projectwoodworks.com/page1.php

Glennbear

Glenn
Thanks for the thorough review. :icon_thum Last Christmas I bought a TEK-4 tool set which was on sale consisting of driver, flashlight, and scissors. Unfortunately it did not include the player but I have been pleased with the system so far. I do check the TEK-4 display whenever I am in HD in the hopes that some of the other tools go on sale. I recycle beach towels into shop rags and the electric scissors save a lot of wear and tear on my hands. :gar-La;

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
cool. will it hook up to a home stereo receiver? I dont like headphones or things hanging off my belt [phones included] and temporarily have a 200 disk changer in the shop. dust is an issue and the disk player is old and had issues even before it went to the shop. I have been wanting to get a IPOD or similar to replace the CD player. I have at least 2000 CD's that could be transferred to a player like this. I prefer WAV files to MP3-4 for sound quality and this will play them. I can rock all of franklin county if i want too [and i do] but CD's are a problem in the shop. radio sucks BTW so......:gar-Bi

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
cool. will it hook up to a home stereo receiver? I dont like headphones or things hanging off my belt [phones included] and temporarily have a 200 disk changer in the shop. dust is an issue and the disk player is old and had issues even before it went to the shop. I have been wanting to get a IPOD or similar to replace the CD player. I have at least 2000 CD's that could be transferred to a player like this. I prefer WAV files to MP3-4 for sound quality and this will play them. I can rock all of franklin county if i want too [and i do] but CD's are a problem in the shop. radio sucks BTW so......:gar-Bi

I plug mine into my Bosch Power Box Jobsite Radio via audio cable. I am sure if you hit Radio Shack, Best Buy, or any kind of audio store, they would have a selection of jacks to plug into a home stero reciever. Good luck!

Glennbear

Glenn
The TEK-4 noise sensitive phones and a Sony walkman (lipstick sized) works well for my hearing protection and music solution. I have a set of the AO safety 'phones I use mostly when running yard equipment but unfortunately the radio portion has died. :confused_

leftoflefty

New User
Ricky
I prefer WAV files to MP3-4 for sound quality and this will play them.

Fred, wav files are better than mp3/4. But if you want the best sound quality I'd go with FLAC format. By far the truest sound to the original recording. It all depends on how much room you have on your hard drive to store all of your music. Wav and FLAC take up a BUNCH of room. When you get around to "ripping" all of your CDs, I would suggest using a program called EAC. It's free and the best you can get. Just my .02.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Christopher, you simply have to stop posting reviews of all this cool stuff... I just ordered a Annihilator a few days ago... Now I want this TEK4 All-Play thingy.

You ever think about writing independent tool reviews?

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
Christopher, you simply have to stop posting reviews of all this cool stuff... I just ordered a Annihilator a few days ago... Now I want this TEK4 All-Play thingy.

You ever think about writing independent tool reviews?

Man I would love to do that! Problem is I HAVE NO CLUE WHERE TO BEGIN! I am hopeful that enough people will read these, visit my website and BLOG and hopefully I can gain some good exposure. I am totally open to suggestions on what to do and where to begin.

BTW, you are gonna love the Annihilator! Make sure you have a couple things ready to rip to shreads! Remember EYE protection!

Thanks!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Fred, wav files are better than mp3/4. But if you want the best sound quality I'd go with FLAC format. By far the truest sound to the original recording. It all depends on how much room you have on your hard drive to store all of your music. Wav and FLAC take up a BUNCH of room. When you get around to "ripping" all of your CDs, I would suggest using a program called EAC. It's free and the best you can get. Just my .02.

have FLAC. flac is a compression program to reduce file size without loosing anything. decompress back to wav and you have CD quality sound. I have several hundred gigs of flac and wav files. :gar-Bi what I need is a player that wont attract dust in the shop. :icon_thum a little dust wont hurt the receiver much as it can be blown out periodically. CD changer not so much.....:gar-Cr
per wikipedia:
Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC) is an audio compression codec primarily authored by Josh Coalson. FLAC employs a lossless data compression algorithm. A digital audio recording compressed by FLAC can be decompressed into an identical copy of the original audio data. Audio sources encoded to FLAC are typically reduced to 50–60% of their original size.[2]
FLAC is an open and royalty-free format with a free software implementation made available. FLAC has support for tagging, cover art, and fast seeking. Though FLAC playback support in portable audio devices and dedicated audio systems is limited compared to formats like MP3,[3] FLAC is supported by more hardware devices than competing lossless formats like WavPack.[2]

Glennbear

Glenn
" A little dust wont hurt the receiver much as it can be blown out periodically. CD changer not so much.....:gar-Cr "

I know that it is time to stick the extended reach blow gun into the guts of my CD player when the dust film on the face of the stereo is so thick I cannot read the track numbers. :rotflm:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
" A little dust wont hurt the receiver much as it can be blown out periodically. CD changer not so much.....:gar-Cr "

I know that it is time to stick the extended reach blow gun into the guts of my CD player when the dust film on the face of the stereo is so thick I cannot read the track numbers. :rotflm:

yehbuttttt @ 120PSI it tends to rearrange the arrangement of music.:rotflm: BTDT.....:gar-Bi

Glennbear

Glenn
yehbuttttt @ 120PSI it tends to rearrange the arrangement of music.:rotflm: BTDT.....:gar-Bi

Too bad neither one of us knows any qualified woodworkers who had the knowledge and/or desire to build a dust resistant cabinet for our tune producing devices. :wwink:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Too bad neither one of us knows any qualified woodworkers who had the knowledge and/or desire to build a dust resistant cabinet for our tune producing devices. :wwink:

you've seen my shop..... wacha thinkin?:gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS