Waxy/plastic substance on saw blades

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Recently bought a used table saw and got several extra blades. A good number of them have this green waxy/plastic material on them, I assume it is to protect the blade. All the blades show signs of previously being used.

Is this something that gets done when you send them off to be sharpened? Just curious. I'm removing it from this blade and it appears to have super sharp points.

Next question... What's the easiest way to get that stuff off!?!

attachment.php

Attachments

• table saw blade.jpg
    table saw blade.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 287

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
A scrape piece of wood and use it to push the protective coating off of the teeth. Throw the material into the waste can and use your blade.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
The plastic coating is to protect the razor sharp teeth, and the customer aftr a blade has been sharpened. It's not hard to remove, and I don't remove it until I'm ready to mount that sharp balde. Just toss it in the waste barrel.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
The plastic coating is to protect the razor sharp teeth, and the customer aftr a blade has been sharpened. It's not hard to remove, and I don't remove it until I'm ready to mount that sharp balde. Just toss it in the waste barrel.
I used it to crosscut the butcher block counter top I'm making, so needed to remove it. It made a nice smooth cut on 2.25" white oak and mahogany.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS