waxing my tablesaw top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
What wax should I use to coat my saws top? The manual just says to use wax. (Gee, thanks guys!) My saw is the Ryobi BT3100.

MarkW

New User
Mark
I use regular ol' Johnson paste wax. Apply a thin coat, allow to dry and buff it. Should be good for another couple months.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
That sounds good. My top is a pitted aluminun, would that cause any problems? The pitting is the only words I have for the top. It's in pristine condition, don't get me wrong. Brand new.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Johnson, Butchers, or Minwax are good fr the table top. Be careful of any automotive waxes because most contain silicone, which if it gets onto your work can cause big problems when its time for finishing (ie fisheyes, etc).:-|

windknot

New User
Scott
I echo Johnsons paste wax. It keeps the grizz and all the other beds smooth and mostly rust free

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Mike Davis said:
Does it come in 5 gallon buckets? I'm gonna need a lot of it! :rolf:

Somewhere, in the janitorial world, I think it does come in huge drums. Ran out to fLowes and got me a tub of the stuff. Buffed up the table top just fine. Ran a poplar board across it and got no marks or residue. My first time buffing a table saw. I long for the days when I will buff up my cab. saw. One wishes! LOL So, like what else can I use the stuff on? I don't yet have a band saw, planer or jointer, but I will in the near future. Is it wise to use the stuff there too? I am guessing so. Yay!

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Good 'ol paste wax has 1001 uses. You can use it on any bare metal you don't want to rust or anything you want to make slick. Use it on your chisels, handsaws, hand planes, etc.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
You can buy a foam pad and buffing bonnet to fit your ROS at the BORGs. Really makes short work of raising the shine.
Joe

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
0000 Steel wool and Johnson's can make an "okay" poly finish pretty slick and even the gloss when you don't have the time to break out the pumice, etc.

smessick

New User
Stan Messick
I'm not sure what you're after in waxing a tabletop but I grew up breathing sawdust and the machine operators always used paraffin sticks on tabletops. The purpose was to make it easier to push wood across the tabletop. I still use it and find it readily available in cartons of four blocks. Just scribble loops on the tabletop and subsequent use distributes it.

Also works on door catches and sticky drawer runners and like that.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
My saw table top is cast iron, and I SWEAT in the summer (the term "perspiring" doesn't do it justice). The wax keeps me from having a solid rust top!!:-D

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
smessick said:
I'm not sure what you're after in waxing a tabletop but I grew up breathing sawdust and the machine operators always used paraffin sticks on tabletops. The purpose was to make it easier to push wood across the tabletop. I still use it and find it readily available in cartons of four blocks. Just scribble loops on the tabletop and subsequent use distributes it.

Also works on door catches and sticky drawer runners and like that.

JunqueCol showed me the block paraffin and it works great

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Has anyone tried Top Cote? I do use Butchers for loads of stuff... it dries and hardens very well. I've used Top Cote for the TS with some luck at keeping it clean and limiting the rust.

Peace,
Ray

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have it and use it, just don't use it as much as I should. It does work well if you keep it up like anything else. My issue like others I have read on the site sweat profusely and I drip onto the tools.

Have to keep the AC down to a comfortable temp in the shop to prevent that.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
for those of us using paraffin...

I know that waxes like Butcher's will dry hard... I was wondering if anyone had trouble using softer stuff. If you have a wax that transfers from the TS top to the wood you're cutting, does it interfere with applying a finish?

Peace,
Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS