Waxing My Sled with ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
I watched a couple of videos on building cross cut sleds for a TS.

One (possibly more than one) of them mentioned waxing (the RUNNER at*) bottom of the Sled.

I went to Lowes and found a can of MixWax - $9.95

Seems a bit high to me, Looked to be a pint can.

Thought to ask if there was a less expensive approach one might suggest.

* added that bit - Sorry, my original post was misleading.

Last edited:

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
FWIW, you do not typically use all that much wax when waxing an item, so not terribly expensive in the long run and you should have plenty left for other future projects (just keep the tin tightly sealed between uses).

You can make your own but by the time you run around town and purchase all the materials it may well have been cheaper to just buy some ready made, not to mention the personal time involved (unless you already have the beehives or a ready source of paraffin wax on hand). I always try to figure in the added costs of driving around town plus the personal time spent when comparing prices and often find that a difference of just a few dollars is seldom worth the cost of trying to take advantage of the potential savings unless I will be buying in large quantity.

Acelectric

Wayne
Corporate Member
I use Johnson's paste wax on mine as well as all metal surfaces in the shop. Not too expensive and lasts a long time.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Charles, avoid using bees wax for this. You want a wax that you buff out, like floor wax. Something with carnauba wax in it would work best.

Roy G

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just avoid anything with silicone in it. If that gets on wood it won't take a finish - just don't take chances. I go to the canning section of the grocery store and get the blocks of paraffin used in canning - very cheap and they work well for hand plane soles and other uses. I do keep some paste wax around - both the inexpensive kind and some premium stuff with color in it for final finish if I want to darken wood. Such as Liberon Wax Polish Black Bison in Tudor Oak shade. This is a finish wax and not a lubricating wax.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
You can wax it with anything.
Seems a bit high? Try $30 for Renaissance wax!

Also don't forget about your TS top.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
My cross cut sled is about 4 ft wide and 2 ft deep. It's pretty heavy.

I've never waxed it. It has aluminum miter bars on it. The table saw stays oiled with CRC 3-36 and the cross cut sled slides just fine without waxing.

I suppose if you used wood miter bars a little wax would be needed on them or in the saw's miter slots, but I can't see wasting the effort to wax the whole sled. You don't wax wood you are cutting, do you?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
There's always canning paraffin smeared on. Gulfwax at the grocery store is pretty cheap. Old candles work also. Back in the day, I observed the WWII generation doing that when they were still in the woodworking shops. Often riveted on a machine was a little sheet metal holder specifically shaped for that little block of Gulfwax.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Don't mean to go off topic of wax in particular, but note that Klingspor now sells uhmw strips- about $9 for a roll of 3/4"x6' self adhesive strip uhmw that would work on the jig bottom for a smooth ride. That is what I use for jig bottoms as opposed to wax. Two strips and make sure to wrap up on to the edges.

Rick M

New User
Rick
Been using Johnson's for years and still have 1/2 the can.

I've also seen people rub white candles on their runners and plane soles and it seems to work well.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
I have a roll of that tape and was considering it along with waxing the sled runner. I think I'll melt some candle wax and apply that - I know it works on Sliding Patio Doors! Thank you all.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
"Just avoid anything with silicone in it. If that gets on wood it won't take a finish "

Well, I really hadn't thought of applying a finish to the runner of the TS sled. ;)

However, I get the point and intention.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
"Just avoid anything with silicone in it. If that gets on wood it won't take a finish "

Well, I really hadn't thought of applying a finish to the runner of the TS sled. ;)

However, I get the point and intention.

:gar-La; I think they're referring to the sled leaving silicone residue on the TS and that getting transferred to other wood cut not using the sled. But, it seems you got that as well. :gar-Bi

I still need to get off my lazy rear and build a sled for my saw at some point. I always think of doing it when I need one and of course don't have time to build one before the project has to be done.. :BangHead:

B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS