Waterlox loss

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Had 3-4 year old Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish (about 1/2 quart) turn to a gel despite using Bloxygen religiously. I thought that I had resealed the original container well enough after the Bloxygen but apparently not.

Waterlox and Bloxygen are both excellent products that I've used for several years without problems but my bad this time!

frankc4113

Frank C
Corporate Member
Sorry you lost that Waterlox. It's not cheap.

After losing some paints and varnishes, now if I don't know how soon I'm going to use whatever finishes, etc., I put them in a plastic vacuum seal bag, remove the air with the vacuum sealer and also store the vacuum sealed containers upside down. It's a good idea to store all the shop liquids upside down whether in cans or bottles.

With bottles of CA glue, I place them in a vacuum sealed bag and store in the freezer. It does keep quite a long time. Also, if you don't have a heated shop (I don't), when cold weather begins, bring glues, varnishes, etc. in the house when not using.them

Last edited:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
That is why I prefer the Tried & True brand of Varnish Oil. It does not go to gel after opening the can. I've put it in a plastic container to use and that is still good a year later. It's expensive but well worth the price if for no other reason than it doesn't go bad over time.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
I used Waterlox for the first time this week (over gel stain) and was very pleased with the results after only one coat. Jeff, thanks for the tip to be extra careful in storing the remaining Waterlox. I have also used Tried and True and was pleased withe results. Ken, thanks for sharing your knowledge regarding Tried and True's long shelf life.

Last edited:

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I have had the same problem. They seem to have changed the formulation about 4-5 years ago. I noticed that the smell had changed and looked at a Headspace GC/MS scan at work. The solvents present and quantities changed considerably. This was about the time California EPA came out with their new and “improved” carcinogen list. I assume Waterlox made the changes th their product nationwide in order to comply. The shelf stability has not been the same since. I just purchase smaller containers now and try to consume in in a few months. It used to be my go to finish but i have recently been spraying water based lacquer with moderate success. It takes more tine to learn and my first few pieces had orange peel but I am improving

FYI. My shop is not heated or cooled and waterlox has poor temperature stability as well. I store it inside the house.

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
Same thing happened to me with the last quarter of a quart. Dan (danmart77) told me to fill the can with marbles after each use and that has worked out well so far.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
FYI. My shop is not heated or cooled and waterlox has poor temperature stability as well. I store it inside the house.

How did you observe this? I've kept mine in the unconditioned garage for years without a problem.

Note: Waterlox contains cobalt naphthenate which catalyzes the formation of oxygen free radicals leading to the polymerization (gelling) of the tung oil. Bloxygen is argon gas which is heavier than air and protects the tung oil from oxygen and polymerization. Bloxygen works very well at that.

Don't put unused Waterlox back in the original container!

I just purchase smaller containers now and try to consume in in a few months.

Where? The smallest that I've found is quarts for about $27.

Last edited:

Chilihead

New User
Chilihead
I really like using Waterlox. I've found though that it is more prone to gel in the can than anything else I've used. I've had some success with Bloxygen yet that is unpredictable. I'v switched to Stop Loss Bags - https://www.stoplossbags.com or you can get them from Lee Valley too. I've found these to be excellent, and they keep the Waterlox fresh longer than Bloxygen ever did for me.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I purchase the quarts. These are typically enough for two projects. I purchased a gallon many years ago and learned it was a mistake

The temperature instability claim is a new can that was in my shop last winter during the really cold stretch. It was gel when opened. This could have been a poorly sealed can but i assumed it was the prolonged cold.

I typically take opened cans to work and bubble nitrogen through them and use a parafilm (relatively inert sealing material) under the metal cap to seal the can. I have not found a good way to remove the lid and typically disfigure it so an improved seal helps.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I found Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish in pints instead of quarts as the smallest size available and ordered two pints. Pints weren't offered by Klingspor, Woodcraft, etc. The pints are not a lot cheaper than a quart but they may be less problematic with gelling and a wasted can (still use Bloxygen though).

thsb

New User
Tim
i fill up small mason jars after i buy a gallon, and typically use up the mason jar on the project i am working on (often more than one). that was the easiest way for me to avoid waste.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS