Water dammage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I recently got this walnut (I think) antique drop leaf table. It's in excellent shape except for the water spots on the top. I really don't want to strip and refinish it and lose the patina. Does anyone know how to get rid of the spotting without ruining the rest of the finish?

Attachments

• 100_0361.jpg
    100_0361.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 180
  • 100_0360.jpg
    100_0360.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 176
  • 100_0359.jpg
    100_0359.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 171

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Copied from another forum:

It depends on what color the rings or stains are and the surface film, if any, on the woodwork.White rings (stains) are indicative of moisture entrapped in a film finish such as shellac or lacquer. You want to displace or release the moisture to clear up the finish. Here's a schedule of events from the mildest to the most severe, so try them in the listed order.
1) Apply mineral oil or petroleum jelly to the area and let stand overnight. Repeat applications of this poultice if it shows any beneficial effect until all clear.
2) Denatured alcohol, applied sparingly with a swab or tampon (a rolled up piece of gauze). You MUST test the alcohol for adverse effects first on an inconspicuous area before use, as it will dissolve a shellac finish. You should see results in about one minute after application to the ring.
3) Rubbing out, the most destructive and last choice, can be done with 0000 steel wool and mineral oil as a lubricant. Stroke the ring with the wool, always WITH the grain, trying not to cut all the way through (removing) the finish. This will remove the sheen from the area, and it will have to be evened out with pumice powder, and finally rottenstone, again using mineral oil as the lubricant.
Mineral oil can be cleaned off with naphtha, but again, test all chemicals on an inconspicuous area before use.
Note these methods will not work for black rings, they are a totally different type of damage and beyond home remedies; scraping, sanding and refinishing will be necessary.
Hank Metz,
A Woodworker's Notebook
http://www.ameritech.net/users/hankm/index.htm

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Mike, You were right , nothing worked so I soaked away the old shelac finish with alcohol and have lightly sanded with 220 grit hopefully not loosong too much of the patina. So far so good. It sure is amazing how much walnut fades as it gets older. After removing the shelac I had to turn the table over and sample with a gouge the underside to confire my suspicions that it is in fact walnut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors