water born lacquer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
Whilst making my weekly purchase of Deft i noticed they also have a "water borne lacquer"
i would welcome any discussion, pros and cons on this product

Yeah, I could look it up but as I have said before...... Slingblade voice on :
" I like the way y'all talk " :gar-Bi

TIA :icon_thum

Last edited:

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
I don't know that I have ever seen a Deft Waterborne Lacquer. I know they market a waterborne poly and a waterborne acrylic finish. Actually, their waterborne poly is an acrylic with a dollop of urethane. I don't know that their waterborne products are significantly different from those of other manufacturers. All manufacturer's product have some slight differences and may "handle" (brush or spray" somewhat differently. Only way to know how they work for you is to try them on scrap or cardboard boxes to see how they work.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I've done a little with WBL but it wasn't deft brand. It's an OK finnish and it lays down fairly well BUT [yep theres always a but] it will raise the grain on the first and sometimes the second coat requiring sanding. Oil doesn't seem to do that near as much. it sands easily though and the smell is much more pleasing that real lacquer:gar-Bi. drying times are about the same as the real stuff so you can do several coats a day. I got some [I think] and you can give it a try if you like.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
. . . . it will raise the grain on the first and sometimes the second coat requiring sanding.

Just curious, wonder if you could eliminate that by making the first coat a thinned shellac? I think you can put shellac under WB lacquer, can't you?

Also, is this Deft WB lacquer just for brushing, or can it be sprayed?

Bill

sawduster

New User
Robert
Well this was actually spray , but apparently I did that old ***/u/me thing :embaresse since it was right beside the lacquer and I had never seen it before . Howard and Mark are on the money , it is actually cross-linked acrylic ....whatever the heck that is :mrgreen:

Thanx everyone for the info :icon_thum

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Well this was actually spray , but apparently I did that old ***/u/me thing :embaresse since it was right beside the lacquer and I had never seen it before . Howard and Mark are on the money , it is actually cross-linked acrylic ....whatever the heck that is :mrgreen:

Thanx everyone for the info :icon_thum

go ahead and try it. you may like it.:gar-Bi or not.....:gar-La;

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
I've used it in my small spray gun. Not bad and real easy cleanup.

FUHR #375 WATERBORNE PRE-CATALYZED LACQUER

$36.99

A water based self-cross linking acrylic finish for use on interior wood substrates requiring a high quality sealer and topcoat. ?This product is designed for the kitchen cabinet industry and exceeds KCMA finish coat testing requirements with proper application. ?The excellent water, chemical and scratch resistance along with self-cross linking technology make this a great finish choice for many applications outside the cabinet industry, including but not limited to furniture, molding, passage doors, millwork and wine racks. ?375 offers excellent wetting of the wood providing for the ever desired ?solvent look? while remaining non-hazardous and low voc. ?Typical dry time to touch in ambient conditions is 10 minutes, light handling in 15 minutes and sand able in 20 minutes. ?Use this product as a companion product with 365 Sanding Sealer for best results. ?Sanding between coats with 320 grit (or higher) sandpaper is recommended for maximum quality and is required after 4 hours ambient dry. Compatible w/ most finish equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS