Water Based Grain Filler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Need pointers on using Behlen Water Based Grain Filler. The can I have is called Neutral which is kind of light cream/white colored. Should it be tinted with a tint near the same color of the wood or the stain to be used or what? Any info would be helpful. I had planned to use in on red oak but don't like any of the test I have done. I have tried putting stain on the wood first and then filler on first and still the filler is somewhat visible in the open grain of the wood.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
If you are using a water based stain, you could mix some stain with the filler. Or try some acrylic paints from a craft store. Personally I have never been a fan of water based finishes. Oil based products have been around forever and I am resistant to change:eusa_naug :eusa_naug

Dave:)

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
an old trick I learned from my teacher, use darker colors to when fixiing stuff. If you tint the filler a TAD' darker than the wood, it will come out good. I also do this when i have to fill in knot holes or something I cant replace. I will use epoxy and color it darker than the wood. Always turns out good. Be blessed friend

jglord

New User
John
Water based filler is softer than the oil based Behlen filler and should sand very easily. I would not recomend tinting with water based stain since the stain will have unique binders to hold the stain on the wood. It is not clear what would happen when you mix this with filler. A better choice would be a water based tint. Several options are availalbe at Woodcraft.

My question is what are you trying to accomplish witht the filler. In Bob Flexner's book (Understanding Wood Finishing) he states you can fill wood with any finish that builds e.g. polyurathane. He says he applies three coats before sanding and this allows him to get a smooth surface for final finishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS