Water based finishes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
For those of you using the USL water based finishes, where is the cheapest place to get it. I saw some in Klingspoor that was a bit on the high side and only a quart at that. Their price on a quart is more than I have been paying for a gallon of pre-cat lacquer. Can't stomach that kind of pricing. I also would like info on the least expensive good quality conversion gun available. Since I have never used HVLP, I really don't even know what to look for in a gun so hence my questions.

Thanks,

MIke

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Mike,

I have been very pleased with Target Coatings USL. I buy it from Homesteadfinishing.com, I'm sure that Jeff isn't the cheapest but I'm willing to pay extra to be able to aske questions of a leading expert when I need advice. The Wagner conversion gun is the highest rated cheap gun that I have seen. Jeff frequently sells used guns on his site too. These are new guns that he has used for a class or a photo shoot. He sends them out good as new at pretty good pricing for a pro quality gun.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I ordered it straight from Target coatings and got it in about 3 days. I fountd the gallons to be very comparable to the prices the BORG charge for gallons of waterbased Poly's.

As for guns, I agree with Steve. The Wagner is rated very high. I bought the Porter Cable on an urge from Woodcraft with a 10 percent of coupon. It is a gravity feed, but I have no regrets. Actually, I have one regret. I should have done it two years ago.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Thanks for the info guys, I'll keep an eye out for one. Would like to move to less mess soon.

How about Walcom guns? Any good?

Mike

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have never heard of them. I have heard that almost any HVLP gun is going to give pretty good results. Practicing, adjusting, and using the lowest pressure possible are the keys that I have been told.

SteveD got me hooked and gave me a lot of info on them as I have been getting started. I believe I remember Jeff mentioning he got his from Harbor Freight and it has done pretty well for him.

My only suggestions are if you have a compressor start with a conversion gun, make sure it has a inline regulator, and get a moisture remover for your air line. The BORG sell some that just have the silica in the for about 10 bucks. Just have to make sure to plug the ends when you are through or it is shot pretty quick (learned that the hard way).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS