Water based finishes

Status
Not open for further replies.

pafekete

New User
Peggy
I would like to share a water based finishing system from target coatings (targetcoatings.com) that I think is not just as good, but better than any other I have used. I started out using waterlox oil based on cabinets, urethane based for high traffic and a nice french polish with dewaxed shellac for fine pieces. However I now use the following with not only better results but also no fumes, easy cleanup and no worries about fire hazards (although I always put my rags in a metal pail outside). Their EM 8800 Universal sealer is a water borne urethane wood sealer which can be used alone or as a sealer between different finishes that are not compatible. Their EMtech EM 6000 is an acrylic lacquer that can be brushed, wiped or sprayed. They have a Emtech Em 8000 pre-cat hybrid conversion varnish that is tough as nails and has good depth. Their Superclear 9000 poly is great and they have a water based dewaxed shellac sealer and finally a water reducible linseed oil stain system. You can add custom stains in this solution and then cover with the universal sealer for topcoats of your choice. However I have also added transtint dyes directly to all these products with good results.

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
Glad to hear you like it Peggy.:icon_thum I'm starting to finish a desk now and will ultimately spray the desktop with the EM6000. This my first foray into water based as well as spraying, so I'll be practicing a bit on some test scraps. Is there a local seller of this stuff or is it best to mail order?

pafekete

New User
Peggy
I have always ordered it directly from their website but I remember one time I had to call their 800 number to order over the phone. Either way it ships quickly and I don't know of any other way to purchase their products. I sand in between coats starting with 400 working up to however high you want to go.

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
From the Homestead Finishing site:
Effective 4-1-2009, Target Coatings is no longer manufacturing Oxford Ultima Spray Lacquer. It is being replaced by EmTech EM6000 Waterbased Production Lacquer. EM6000 and USL are built with identical resins, but several new intermediate/performance additives have been added to the EM6000. These additives offer improved dry film harness, improved slip/glide/dirt release and greatly improved clarity. The fast dry-time and 100% Burn-In features have not been changed, if anything they have been improved upon as well with the latest version of EM6000.

DavidF

New User
David
I am another convert to Target products and in the past I have used their WB Shellac and the Oxford USL with great results.

I posted on the Target forum recently for a recommendation for the dining table I am just about to finish. My question was how to pop the grain on the curly maple and to provide a good durable table top finish and thirdly, I like the slight Amber colour of traditional finishes which un-tinted WB doesn't give. The suggestions were to use the "Clear base stain" which while designed to be tinted, can be used as it is to "pop" the grain on figured woods. For the top coat they suggested the EM2000 as this is formulated to replace a traditional Linseed oil finish and will amber slightly with age. The em2000 has roughly the same resistance properties as the em6000 which did replace the USL.

pafekete

New User
Peggy
You can add transtint color (they have a nice yellow and orange amber) to any of the target coatings products. I believe their shellac only comes with an amber tint. I added some amber to the lacquer and finished an ambrosia maple door liquor cabinet. I just tried to upload to the members gallery but I seem to be challenged with that. I'll keep trying.

DavidF

New User
David
Yes, I know, and that's something I want to get in to in the future, but I was not happy to experiment at this stage!! I can just imagine ending up with a bright yellow dining table......

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
This is great information. Finishing is always a mystery that changes with each project and the materials used (at least that's been my experience). Has anyone put this in the finishing forum? Would be useful to keep handy in addition to going to the Target web site. Thanks to all for the gthread entires.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
This is great information. Finishing is always a mystery that changes with each project and the materials used (at least that's been my experience). Has anyone put this in the finishing forum? Would be useful to keep handy in addition to going to the Target web site. Thanks to all for the gthread entires.

AMEN! Finishing is the toughest part for me! I NEVER know exactly what to use or how to apply it to get the best result. :icon_thum

pafekete

New User
Peggy
I used the yellow tint on true mahogany and on some tigerwood. It didn't make it all yellow with a light wash. Now poplar it probably would. But try a piece with this for the first tint then do another color (like the amber ) over it. It truely makes the wood look good. It's like highlighting hair. I have even used it on walnut that needed a light walnut stain as topcoat stain to even out the color.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I probably don't have near the experience of others on this forum but I will second the sentiment. I have used USL on a couple projects sprayed with rockler's ~80$ HVLP system (that includes the turbine!) and after rubbing out it yielded amazing results. It "burns-in" like a lacquer and self levels very well. And the cleanup could not be simpler!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS