Water Based Contact Cement

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
Hey y'all.

So I've used solvent based contact cement before and would rather not use it again. Anyone here have experience with 3m fastbond? Does it clean up well with water?

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Hey y'all.

So I've used solvent based contact cement before and would rather not use it again. Anyone here have experience with 3m fastbond? Does it clean up well with water?
I've used both solvent and water based contact cement from DAP. for gluing laminate to MDF (router table, assembly table). Both came out great, super strong bond. The solvent based stuff is awful in terms of fumes, severe drain bamage and shop was unusable for half a day. I did not see any difference in performance between the two types. Both projects have held up for years now.

I have not used the 3M product, but I hear good things about it.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
@Bas only if you put it in a bag and huff it :p

Seriously though, I have used most water and solvent based materials, the advantage with the solvent based anything is the pigment or solids that are essential to either assisting with the adhesion or the covering of the material are denser with solvent based materials. They suspend better and there is far less chance of segregation of the material (Glue or Paint) which will cause attachment failure (surfactant).

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
@Bas only if you put it in a bag and huff it :p

Seriously though, I have used most water and solvent based materials, the advantage with the solvent based anything is the pigment or solids that are essential to either assisting with the adhesion or the covering of the material are denser with solvent based materials. They suspend better and there is far less chance of segregation of the material (Glue or Paint) which will cause attachment failure (surfactant).

I feel like I don't even know what this means. :D

So I need better prep work with the water based stuff, just like when using water based paints?

I'm trying to de-solvent my work for the most part. I've also heard that the fumes from old school contact cement can linger for several days inside, even with fans and stuff.

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
I have used the water based DAP as Bas mentioned with great results. I used it to reface a bathroom vanity with walnut veneer. It has been on there for around 10 years with no de-lamination.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS