Wart Hog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I have a customer who owns a jewlery store.LASt year she showed some of my casing pens to a relative who owns a buisness in the low countery.He is always looking for "diiferent" gifts to give to his buisness clients.
I was given some wart hog tuks last year to make see if I could make pens out of them.I was able to make 3.This stuff is HARD!
I was asked If I could make more this year and they asked if I coud get 7 pens out of 5 tusks.
here is this years resuts.
The top is wart hog.I have a jeweler friend that will occasionally gold plate some casings for me.I use Winchester 338 and a PKMON par kiot from woodturnings.
200612220273_magnificent%207wart%20hog%20122006%20006.jpg

like I said he wanted 7
2006122202751_magnificent%20%207wart%20hog%20122006%20001.jpg

Of course they have to have boxes for his clients.
I came up with thyis idea last year.Zebra wood bandsaw boxes.No hardware other than 30-06 "drawer pulls".
I powder coated the pulls.
2006122202957_magnificent%207wart%20hog%20122006%20004.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Very impressive work as usual Eagle. So what did the wart hog tusk smell like, and does it have a finish on it??

Dave:)

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Because I have dust collection right behind the lathe I never smell what I am turning.(Read get the dust at the source) I also don't smell CA while I am using at the lathe either. If anyone complains of the mell of something while they are turning it is a dead give away that they are not using a DC system.I think if I had to buy and wear one of those stupid unnecessary expen$sive space helmet respirators I would take up crocheting.
I ahve learned that for turning just about anything after I sand out any tooling marks to apply a coat of thin CA and continue sanding as normal.
After I go through all the grits (including MM) I have asurface that is polished and shows me if I need to reapply more sealer to fill in any irregualrities.
I then repete the sanding process at whatever grit I feel will take out any scratches.
In the case of this wart hog the surface looks like a new cue ball.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
IMPRESSIVE8-O :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

What is the small vertical line in the base of the third pen from the right?

With all of the great work "turned" out by people on this forum, I'm jealous; blown away; envious; and wishing I had a shop! And a lathe!

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
IMPRESSIVE8-O :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

What is the small vertical line in the base of the third pen from the right?

With all of the great work "turned" out by people on this forum, I'm jealous; blown away; envious; and wishing I had a shop! And a lathe!

The tusks have a "grain" and in some cases a "pith core" similar to antler but much harder.
Just call it"personality"

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Because I have dust collection right behind the lathe I never smell what I am turning.(Read get the dust at the source) I also don't smell CA while I am using at the lathe either. If anyone complains of the mell of something while they are turning it is a dead give away that they are not using a DC system.I think if I had to buy and wear one of those stupid unnecessary expen$sive space helmet respirators I would take up crocheting.

Can you share a pic of your collection setup Eagle?
Joe

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Check back later.
I have to do a glue up and straighten up a few"obstructions" so I can explain the Rube Goldberg set up.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
BEAUTIFUL work as usual Eagle:icon_thum I look forward to seeing the DC set up I need it :eusa_clap

J

jeff...

Well, just goes to further re-enforce my previous satement, "You guys will make a pen out of just about anything".

Wart Hog / gold plated Winchester 338 shell - brilliant :icon_thum

What's next? a 57 chevy bumper pen :slap: the pen wars have begun :lol:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Clever choice of materials. Add the pen boxes and you have created something unique and beautiful. Great stuff Eagle!

Roger

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
:eusa_clapNice work, Eagle. I see you finally decided to try your hands at pens...first time working with antler type material? haha...I like them...that antler/ivory/etc looks a lot like marble...it's classy.

Chris

T

toolferone

I reconize that zebra wood! It is good to see it went to good use. Nice pens too!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS