b4man

New User
Barbara
cornercupboard.jpg

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Hi Barbara,

I'm glad to see you on again. We have missed you at the lunches.

Have you searched the Sketchup Warehouse? I would nor be surprised to see several different plans available.

Steve

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Barbara, check out books by Franklin Gottshall, Lester Margon and Carlyle Lynch. They all have plans for corner cupboards of varying designs. I like the one Gottshall does where he carves a shell that domes over the upper shelf.

Roy G

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think Roy has built or is still building one. If you're ever in Pittsboro stop by and see it in his classroom. Of course it is all built with hand tools.

It was still there last time I was in the Classroom, which was quite a while ago.

I'll keep an eye out for other, more normal, sources.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
No plan but it won't be hard to devise one.

1. It's basically a modified triangle that sits in a corner. What are the dimensions that you want along each wall-that determines the front width.

corner_cabinet.png

2. Your pic looks like it's about door height which is 80". Here's a skeleton depiction with a bonsai plant.

corner_cabinet_2.png

3. ...add doors with glass panels...or whatever works.

corner_cabinet_3.png

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A few thoughts on the designs above.

1. Both plans seem way too complicated for a cabinet that sits on the floor in a corner. Yes, it's built from the inside out beginning with the shelves, top, and base.

2. A lot of woodworking finesse with hidden joinery that's not necessary. It's gotta be easier to build a sturdy cabinet of this design without investing a lifetime making it.

I'm curious about you're thoughts. How would you simplify it to make it doable and sturdy?

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
maybe that's one difference between an heirloom and a cabinet that sits in the corner. my $.02
Granny could have machine stitched a functional cover for my bed, but she did it by hand and with love.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I don't think the plans are overly complicated. They are involved, but not more than I would expect given the angles and molding. I don't see any dovetailed miters or anything like that. It seems most of the joinery is rabbets and dadoes. I agree with smallboat with the point that this is supposed to be an heirloom piece. I am sure some 2x4 cleats could be used with some lag bolts and that would be easier and still very strong, but it wouldn't be something that I would consider an heirloom.

When I think about trying to build an heirloom, my priorities go like this:

1) It has to be beautiful. Who is going to keep it and pass it down through the generations if it is ugly.
2) It has to be strong and built to last. No matter how nice it looks, it won't make it through the generations if it falls apart.
2a) It should be made from high quality materials.
3) It helps if it serves a useful purpose.

I don't think ease of construction even makes it onto my list.

b4man

New User
Barbara
I like how you think Jeff. Many times I look at drawings and wonder how much is really necessary. I'm not wanting to cut corners just wanting to make the wood count and the cuts make sense. I often imagine being in the 17th century with a task before me and the desire to not just build but design or create something beautiful, meaningful and reasonable.

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Barbara,
A few thoughts on your project. The piece you posted has some nice features,...bead board back, shaped shelves in the open top section, proportions are better than the wood smith plan, break front base, molding in the center breaks and wraps around, the curve of the top front is nicely done, your piece is a little narrower which I like also. You could do a curved door on top if you wanted a top door, but definitely not necessary and would be challenging to build. Are you planning to paint like the picture or going with a certain wood. If you have some mouldings or shapes you want to use, I will put them on your drawing or I can just draw what is shown and you can match it as best you can with the bits or knives that you have. The crown might be something to consider purchasing, (Or maybe Bill could run a few pieces on his shaper for you)?? We can discuss construction and I'll add some of that for you too. Let me know, will take me a couple evenings or so, but I'll draw if for you. After all, aren't you the First Lady of nc wood :)

Buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS