Wanted: Your thoughts on Belt sanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

flywelder

New User
David
By the sounds of my 30 year old 3x21 belt sander, I should begin soon to look at a replacement.
With so many choices, I am wondering what y'all think would be a good, dependable, long life, 3x21, belt sander......... with your inputs I'll be able to make a great choice!
Tell me what you like and don't like about the models available.
thanks
flywelder

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
About a year ago, I went with the Bosch 1274DVS. It 3x21.

What I like most of all, unlike so many other tools, is that this one has a flat top and sides. Yes, its a box.

That means its easy to lay the sander down without need clever or expensive fixtures.

The model has been around a long time, so I'd say its got a good track record.

Jim

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I have the makita 4x24 and it's a great sander. heavy and flat on the sides and top. it wasnt cheap but will prolly outlast me.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Just another thought. Since I got a Rotex 150 (6 inch) I haven't used my belt sander. With 60-80 grit disk in Rotex mode, it cuts down just as fast and cannot trench cut.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
By the sounds of my 30 year old 3x21 belt sander, I should begin soon to look at a replacement.(edit)
Tell me what you like and don't like about the models available.
thanks
flywelder

What I've seen of the newer sanders doesn't look like much. Maybe its time to consider a rebuild to keep it going for another 30 years. The older sanders were far better built to the point they could be repaired and kept going.

Here's my flock of rebuilds. I keep a different grit on the various ones in a size range.

PCsanders.jpg

Here's a couple of the Porter Cable 500's torn apart

5002.jpg

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
What I've seen of the newer sanders doesn't look like much. Maybe its time to consider a rebuild to keep it going for another 30 years. The older sanders were far better built to the point they could be repaired and kept going.

Here's my flock of rebuilds. I keep a different grit on the various ones in a size range.

PCsanders.jpg

Here's a couple of the Porter Cable 500's torn apart

5002.jpg

bob..... that aint no flock...... it's a FLEET!:icon_thum those are hard to kill, even by me. unfortunately they are hard to find these days.:gar-Cr

RayH

New User
Ray
I've used a 6 x 48 Delta for a couple of years and would not buy another like it. While the size/shape is fine, I think it is poorly made. The hex-head bolts that have to be removed to replace the sanding belt stripped out after a few changes.

And Delta used to be a good brand:wsad:

Ray

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I don't believe I have seen one of those locomotives in 10 years or more. They are definitely top of the line.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
bob..... that aint no flock...... it's a FLEET!:icon_thum those are hard to kill, even by me. unfortunately they are hard to find these days.:gar-Cr

... which is why I've got as many as I do. They're all rebuilds from junkers because that's all I could find, and I know their value compared to other belt sanders. The dust collection is second to none (excepting maybe the Skil worm drive series) since the dust fan is an integral part of the system.

Those big 4x27 sanders would be well over $1000.00 these days, so you know they have to be pretty good. The 25 lb heft up on the work is a grunt, but when the machine is on, it floats over the surface.

I've even got an old PC 360 I use for when I need something lightweight to go over undulating surfaces.

A good old sander, reconditioned is still a good sander and likely better than anything that can be bought today. ...just not as shiney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors