Wanted: planer

Reference Handiwork

Ref
Senior User
Hey team,

My trusty little WEN planer just went to that great pile of sawdust in the sky. Sparks, tripped breaker, sadness, etc.

This is a primary tool for me since I work a lot with recycled wood. I'll be needing to get a planer in the next week or so and I'm thinking of going in one of two directions:

1- buy another cheap lunchbox planer and work it to death (this one lasted me about 3 years of nearly daily use).

2- upgrade to a 3hp or better planer, ideally used.

Anyone have an old 3hp or stronger planer that they're looking to unload?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
No but your timeline makes it less likely that you'll be able to get a decent deal on a used larger one.

They machines do come up for sale with some regularity - depending on your willingness to travel in order to find one.

I have an old Foley Belsaw machine with a massive motor - 3 HP, 5HP? i don't know - but I am not willing to part with it. It is likely the best tool I own; I doubt you'll regret a solid floor mount planer for larger pieces. Replacing a tool every 3 years is no fun. Now that you know you use it regularly - try to find a big old one and never look back. You might need to make do with a used lunchbox one until you can find a bigger one (resell the small one). BTW it helps to have 240V service for those higher HP motors.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
There was a Foley on Marketplace recently near me for $100. I'll bet $50 would have bought it. I messaged the lady but I never followed up. Probably should have..

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
3 years of near daily use?

Go buy another one. You known the ins and outs of it. Sounds like you have more than gotten your use out of the previous iteration. Hang with it.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
WEN is the champ for cheap tools. Been happy with the ones I have had. They seem to pick the better tradeoffs to hit their price point than others.
Maybe pick up another and then watch patiently for a used 3 or 5 HP lifetime one. I was not happy with my Delta lunchbox, but just could not spend for the PowerMatic or Laguna so I went used DeWalt and put in a Byrd head. Not really happy with it, but it is all I can do. Of course, two years ago price looks really good today. Gad have prices gone up!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I was not happy with my Delta lunchbox, but just could not spend for the PowerMatic or Laguna so I went used DeWalt and put in a Byrd head. Not really happy with it, but it is all I can do.
I'll bite - why are you not happy with the Dewalt and the Byrd head?

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Not thrilled as 110V is just not enough juice. Even though it comes with a 15A cable and plug, it pulls between 17 and 21A steady state, fatigued breakers ( easy cheap replacement) and on a 10 or 12 inch board, you had better cut only a hair of a pass and give it recovery time after every few minutes. How they get away with UL and CSA when the cord and breaker exceed the static load I don't know. I thought UL was trustworthy, but I guess not any more. Yes, I measured it myself when it was first dropping the breaker. Research on the WEB confirms my measurements. I can only assume for a job-site tool, they did not want to fit a 20A plug.

So, I plug into a 20A outlet, buy breakers in the 5-pack, and take very light cuts on low speed feed. Better than the steel blades that somehow I nicked every other time, but far rougher finish than the Powermatic. The PM is $3600 so out of the possibilities. ( And the finish on the PM was a full step better than the Jet, which was a step better than a Griz.) It also has a bit more snipe than I would like to see. Just got the top mount dust hood for it to see if it does a better job of chip pickup. It is not bad as delivered, but I want to see if the top hood does better.

I am very happy with Byrd and Lux. One in jointer, one in planer. Far more time using the tool that fiddling with it. I am going to make some larger flip up tables for the DeWalt as I often feed boards in the 4 to 6 foot range. They may help the snipe some. Some is roller design and pressure, some is just plain the forces really need big heavy iron. Downside of the big Griz-Jet-PM ( all same basic design) is the moving table means moving outfeed extensions. The moving head would be better, but I have not seen one with the high cutter count in moving head.

So, all I can do, but just letting folks know as even used, I have a grand in it, but really want the big 3 HP tool, so that makes it even more expensive. Cheapest is to buy the right tool first.

My old Emerson built Ridgid 6 inch jointer works exactly as expected. As many have said, an 8 would be better but I don't have the room or money. as does my BS, TS and Clear View. All good tools that only needed tuning up. I don't hate everything, just things that don't work as they should. I hate my Delta drill press for too much vibration and too much quill play. It is enough for a spur or Forsner bit to wander in a deep hole. A Nova is not n the budget either. I have wondered how hard it would be to take the head to a machine shop and have the front split like the old ones. I am collecting the parts to put a pneumatic damper on the belt idler to see if it can tame the vibration a little. A good Gates belt solved the vibration on the jointer. Just shimmed the motor to use a more common belt size. For some reason, Chinese tools use odd belt sizes. What was not fixed is their violation of the belt spec with respect to sheave diameter. Another common Chinese tool design fault. At least many are going to multi-rib belts which can run on the smaller sheaves.

Reference Handiwork

Ref
Senior User
It's on Amazon for $297. That comes out to 28 cents a day over three years.
Yeah, I've arrived at that same conclusion!

I've just ordered another and even saved the granite table from my old one, just in case I can fit it in the newer model. I also thought long and hard about getting a larger unit into my basement shop (which does have a full door entrance from the backyard, but a long step down) and have concluded that anything really worthwhile and heavy would likely become a permanent part of the home once lowered into the basement.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I should be back to overworking a little WEN planer sometime this friday evening when it arrives from Amazon.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
A lot of folks beat up Amazon, but their delivery system has really changed our expectations!
We often forget to check Walmart. They carry a lot of stuff too with quick delivery. Often at a better price.

Reference Handiwork

Ref
Senior User
A lot of folks beat up Amazon, but their delivery system has really changed our expectations!
We often forget to check Walmart. They carry a lot of stuff too with quick delivery. Often at a better price.
Not in this case. And people beat up on them because they understand the greater socioeconomic impacts. And, alas, I bought it from Amazon.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Have the Dewalt planer here also. Very little snipe. Have no problem with chip or dust extraction when hooked to the vac system. Have had this planer about 12 yrs and has never popped a breaker nor over heated

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
If you’re using a planer it that frequently, bite the bullet and buy a keeper. But it all depends on what you’re doing. You must not have been taxing it too much is it lasted that long. Milling rough lumber is a lot different than skimming 1/32 off boards. That planer probably wouldn’t last 3 years in my shop……Also consider the cost of disposabke knives.

Stationary machines are not cheap, the decision process is budget based. Those of use fortunate enough, have hobby shops full of industrial machines, some we paid 1/3 of current prices.

Maybe buying another one is best, do you like the idea of disposable machines? The bigger DW portable is the best alternative. If budget allows, a 15” helical is a great choice.

Reference Handiwork

Ref
Senior User
If you’re using a planer it that frequently, bite the bullet and buy a keeper. But it all depends on what you’re doing. You must not have been taxing it too much is it lasted that long. Milling rough lumber is a lot different than skimming 1/32 off boards. That planer probably wouldn’t last 3 years in my shop……Also consider the cost of disposabke knives.

Stationary machines are not cheap, the decision process is budget based. Those of use fortunate enough, have hobby shops full of industrial machines, some we paid 1/3 of current prices.

Maybe buying another one is best, do you like the idea of disposable machines? The bigger DW portable is the best alternative. If budget allows, a 15” helical is a great choice.
I believe you that it wouldn't last three years in your shop! And I don't think the cheap replacement that I just purchased will last another three years in my shop!

I'm not a pro, but I'm a serious hobbyist who makes and sells a lot of stuff. I am working with lumber that was originally milled around 1880-1920, it works my tools hard.

I'd love, and will someday get, a serious machine that mills the rough stuff easily, but for now I need to consider my space and circumstance.

We just learned that we are buying a building built in 1782 in Winston Salem.

So, all big expenses will go toward that.

CarolinaBlueJacket

New User
BlueJacket
On the cheap planers (or any planer), it may well be worth getting the "spiral" cutter heads. Not a true helix, but light years ahead of knives with tearout, maintenance and noise. It will set you back another $150ish, so if price is the ultimate priority, go with the knives. In the big picture, these are $1000 less than Dewalt with shelix. Is Dewalt with shelix better? I am sure it is. Is it $1000 better? That must be answered by each person, but for me, it's no where near an extra $1000. I have a cheap 13" Cutech planer with carbide spiral and it leaves a beautiful finish. There are plenty of other things for me to spend $1000 on (like wood to send through the planer :)).

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
On the cheap planers (or any planer), it may well be worth getting the "spiral" cutter heads. Not a true helix, but light years ahead of knives with tearout, maintenance and noise. It will set you back another $150ish, so if price is the ultimate priority, go with the knives. In the big picture, these are $1000 less than Dewalt with shelix. Is Dewalt with shelix better? I am sure it is. Is it $1000 better? That must be answered by each person, but for me, it's no where near an extra $1000. I have a cheap 13" Cutech planer with carbide spiral and it leaves a beautiful finish. There are plenty of other things for me to spend $1000 on (like wood to send through the planer :)).
I would have agreed at one time, but it seems every other time, planer or jointer, I nicked a blade. Sure, blades are cheap and jointer blades easy to sharpen, but a pain to setup. I bought my DeWalt used, so with Shelix head, I have about 1K total in it. Now I just use my tools and don't spend hours working on them. So, for me, it was if $1000 for the DeWalt/Shelix or $3600 for a PM. Yea, the Lux head I put in my Ridgid jointer cost as much as it did used, but again, I just roll it out and concentrate on using it, not if it has an issue.

The Cutech is no longer that cheap. It has the same kind of inserts as a Shelix or Lux, just a lot fewer of them. It, like all Delta lunchbox clones, is too subject to the head rocking. Same with the Rikon. I used split collars to lock my Delta on the final cuts and it helped a lot, but what a pain! The baby Dewalt at least has some friction locks on the posts, but I do not know if they work. At least they are trying to address the issue. It could be a good gap filler from standard lunchbox to the DeWalt.

PS: I had never seen Cutech advertised. Their jointer looks a lot like several other benchtop jointers. I wonder if they are the OEM?

CarolinaBlueJacket

New User
BlueJacket
I would have agreed at one time, but it seems every other time, planer or jointer, I nicked a blade. Sure, blades are cheap and jointer blades easy to sharpen, but a pain to setup. I bought my DeWalt used, so with Shelix head, I have about 1K total in it. Now I just use my tools and don't spend hours working on them. So, for me, it was if $1000 for the DeWalt/Shelix or $3600 for a PM. Yea, the Lux head I put in my Ridgid jointer cost as much as it did used, but again, I just roll it out and concentrate on using it, not if it has an issue.

The Cutech is no longer that cheap. It has the same kind of inserts as a Shelix or Lux, just a lot fewer of them. It, like all Delta lunchbox clones, is too subject to the head rocking. Same with the Rikon. I used split collars to lock my Delta on the final cuts and it helped a lot, but what a pain! The baby Dewalt at least has some friction locks on the posts, but I do not know if they work. At least they are trying to address the issue. It could be a good gap filler from standard lunchbox to the DeWalt.

PS: I had never seen Cutech advertised. Their jointer looks a lot like several other benchtop jointers. I wonder if they are the OEM?
I know that Cutech is made by Shinmax and just looking at a lot of others (Wen, Rikon, Wahuda, Triton, Grizzly, etc, etc) they all look like the same equipment to me. If they are not the same, then they are very close copies of each other. For example, I believe that Wahuda is no longer made by Shinmax, but it looks identical. These lower end planers and jointers are the definition of globalization. It's good and bad. It reduces cost by allowing Shinmax or others to mass produce and get very good at one thing, but it also creates false variety in the market as you have 10 different companies branding the same equipment with different colors and names.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Same on big machines. Look at the parts diagrams and you see there is clearly only 4 or 5 OEM's. Look closer and see they mix and match components from possibly other third tier OEM. I have been told there are only two cast iron foundries for most of the tools.

Looking deeper, it is clear than each brand sources each tool wherever, so one can't say all of one brand is made by one OEM. Maybe with the exception of OEM brand ownership like TTI, but I would not bet on it. Well, Harvey is an OEM. Some of the industrial tool makers like Laguna build their comercial tools themselves and OEM all out low end stuff. But, as each brand buys to a spec and price point, seemingly identical visually does not mean they are identical. To meet a price point, they each choose what corners to cut. Some do a better job at that than others. As an example, in the ubiquitous looking spindle sanders, the stroke is different on almost every one. WEN the largest. HF the shortest. Same plastic base, same aluminum top. Not the same gear.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS