Wanted or Willing to Trade - 30in Unifence Rail or Biesemeyer Fence - Trade Complete

tijmt

Jared
User
I am restoring an old Unisaw and it came with a 52in Unifence with extension table and legs. It is a bit too big for the space I have. I would love to trade the 52in rail with someone with a 30in rail that wants to upgrade to a longer fence. I also would be open to trading the entire Unifence for a Biesemeyer.

Also open to buying either if anyone has an extra.

Thanks!
Jared

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Have you used the Unifence yet? Most people who use one for a while will realize how many ways it can be used, and won't part with it after that. High or low fence capability, long or short fence capability. Easy to flip for opposite side of the blade cutting, etc. A fence accessory extrusion is being sold by Peachtree Woodworking called a Uni-T-Fence that is square and has T slots on the top and working side, and an HDPE rub strip built into it. It slips in place and adjusts to any length, just like the original Unifence extrusion. They also sell a 16" long version of this to use as a short fence or work stop when cutting pieces to length using the miter gauge. I switch fences often, whenever the original, or the Peachtree long or short versions will do the job best.

A Unifence came on the Unisaw that I bought, and I too had mixed emotions at first, because the saw at work has a Biesmeyer. After using the Unifence for a while, I stated trying to get the Biesmeyer at work replaced with a Unifence. Their fence is about at end of life anyway. If a new Unifence was still available new, I could probably get them to buy one. Unfortunately it is not.

I have a very small shop and placed the fence extension end of my Unisaw against one wall, with the passage door on the operator side of the saw, and the double doors on the out feed side of the saw. My work isles now run around the other end of the saw in a U fashion. My jointer sits next to this end of the saw too. I don't break up sheet stock on my saw, since there isn't enough room in the shop for this. I do it on a folding cutting table outside and trim the pieces to exact size inside on the Unisaw. I thought about cutting the Unifence rail and extension table down, but couldn't bring myself to do it. I kept thinking that my next shop would be bigger and I would hate myself if I had cut it down. Sadly, at my age now, I don't see me living long enough to have another shop. If you do cut the Unifence rail, I might be interested in buying the left over piece. If you decide to do with a different brand of fence, the Unifence is selling used for pretty good prices, so you might recover most of your investment in the new fence. Please try the Unifence for a while though. I've got a feeling that you won't be replacing it.

Charley

Last edited:

tijmt

Jared
User
@Charles Lent

Thanks for your response! I did see the Peachtree T-slot fence a few days ago and if I can find a smaller rail I will definitely pick it up. Interestingly enough, I was reading the Sep-Oct Issue of Fine Woodworking and I noticed Chris Gohnour is using a Unifence with the Peachtree fence! I doubt I would have noticed it if I hadn't been looking at my options.

I don't use my table saw all that much so I just can't see investing the space that the 52in rails and table would require. The best case scenario is probably finding someone that has a 30in rail to sell and picking it up. That way I could keep the 52in rails and upgrade in the future if/when I move.

I also thought about cutting the rail, but I would hate to do that if there is someone around who loves their unifence and would like to upgrade to a 52in. I have also used a Biesemeyer in the past and had no issues with it, so that is why I am also open to getting one of those as long as it is the shorter version

TB2

New User
Kent
I have a 30 inch unifence and am looking for a 52. Would be glad to swap

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Be careful.

There are two versions of the Unifence rail. Before making the swap you should both verify that the profile of the end of the extrusion is the same. If it is, and you make the swap, maybe you should both consider swapping the extension tables and at least the horizontal metal under it too.

Charley

TB2

New User
Kent
Thanks Charlie. Jared’s is early 70’s and mine is early 2000. Jared if ya would take pic of end of rail and I’ll ck mine. Thanks

tijmt

Jared
User
Hi Everyone,

@Charles Lent Thanks for confirming. I was beginning to wonder if that was the case, but I had not found confirmation. The first difference between our fences is that mine has been anodized (it is black) and Kent's is normal aluminum. I texted a pic of the rail to Kent, but just to document the possible difference here is a pic as well.

IMG_2068.JPG

TB2

New User
Kent
And mine. Don’t see why they wouldn’t interchange. Bolts are in same place looks to me. But y’all ck it out and let us know. Thanks so much
939E96C2-AF9F-4C22-BC75-CB6A95EFBE22.jpeg

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I'm no expert on this. I was just passing along the info that I had learned over the past years. They are definitely different in the photos, but their outer profile and the important slot for the fence to lock into appears to be the same. I think it's worth trying, with the agreement that if you aren't both happy, that you will return each other's fence rails.

I'm not able to go to my shop right now, to see which one I have (heart surgery last Wednesday), but hope to be able to get back out there in a few days.

Charley

naturalconstruction

New User
Thomas
I have a unifence that I cut a section from to put on a bandsaw. would be interested to see how much rip capacity is left as I havent mounted it to my saw, it's a rebuild in process. mine is the black fence and I think I only cut off 20in or so for my bandsaw, so I'd imagine theres 30 or so inches left. I could certainly use the full 52in fence if you are interested in a trade. im in greenville but travel up to the triangle often

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS