Wanted: Logs - any species

Traceg

Trace
User
I'm looking for logs, any species that are at least ~18" in length and anywhere from 4" to 8" in diameter with the bark still on. It's that time of year to knock out some Christmas gifts and I'm looking to make several candle holders similar to the one pictured. I'm based in Apex but am willing to travel. I still have some time to resaw and allow the pieces to dry before the holidays so greenwood is fine. Thanks!

Apologies in advance if I have posted this in the wrong forum!

8519EB16-588B-4F4E-BEAA-8A747BA40A16_1_105_c.jpeg

Traceg

Trace
User
Ben, great question! To be honest, I'm not sure. The wood in the picture is sweetgum. It's from a few trees I had in the backyard that I wanted to remove. Many of the resawn pieces went into making a small circular tabletop for our front porch and I had a few leftover and this quick and easy candle project came to mind. I cut the trees in the fall when the sap had stopped flowing which increases the odds that the bark will stay adhered and they dried stickered in my garage shop with reasonably good airflow for about 10 months. MC was about 12 to 14% when I started working the resawn pieces. For a finish, I soaked (by spraying, not dipping) the edges using Shellac (in a can from Zinsser). I hit the bark on both sides 3 or 4 times with the Shellac and then did 2 more coats of Shellac over the entire project (bottom too). The one in the picture was done about 6 months ago and the bark shows absolutely no signs of going anywhere. I know woods like walnut and basswood have a good reputation for strong bark adherence and woods like hickory do not. No idea where sweetgum falls on the spectrum but so far, so good for mine. I don't have any more trees to take down at the moment and I'd really like to make half a dozen or more of these to give out to family and friends. Finding wood on this forum has always been great but I haven't been able to find any postings for logs that I can resaw.

iclark

Ivan
User
Some of the tree trimming companies have customers that buy their larger cutoffs for firewood, but most of them seem to have to pay to dispose at the dump or at a municipal mulch yard.
If you talk nice to the right tree trimmer, you can sometimes have more green wood than you can use delivered to your driveway.

Also, many of the woodturning clubs have door prizes that often include log sections.

Fermentorman

Mark
Corporate Member
I'm looking for logs, any species that are at least ~18" in length and anywhere from 4" to 8" in diameter with the bark still on. It's that time of year to knock out some Christmas gifts and I'm looking to make several candle holders similar to the one pictured. I'm based in Apex but am willing to travel. I still have some time to resaw and allow the pieces to dry before the holidays so greenwood is fine. Thanks!

Apologies in advance if I have posted this in the wrong forum!

View attachment 205497
I am in North Raleigh and have two small walnut trees that I want to take down this coming weekend. One is approximately 8" in diameter, the other closer to 12". You are welcome to come get that material this Saturday before I take it off to the yard waste recycling center.

bjbrya2

New User
Ben
Ben, great question! To be honest, I'm not sure. The wood in the picture is sweetgum. It's from a few trees I had in the backyard that I wanted to remove. Many of the resawn pieces went into making a small circular tabletop for our front porch and I had a few leftover and this quick and easy candle project came to mind. I cut the trees in the fall when the sap had stopped flowing which increases the odds that the bark will stay adhered and they dried stickered in my garage shop with reasonably good airflow for about 10 months. MC was about 12 to 14% when I started working the resawn pieces. For a finish, I soaked (by spraying, not dipping) the edges using Shellac (in a can from Zinsser). I hit the bark on both sides 3 or 4 times with the Shellac and then did 2 more coats of Shellac over the entire project (bottom too). The one in the picture was done about 6 months ago and the bark shows absolutely no signs of going anywhere. I know woods like walnut and basswood have a good reputation for strong bark adherence and woods like hickory do not. No idea where sweetgum falls on the spectrum but so far, so good for mine. I don't have any more trees to take down at the moment and I'd really like to make half a dozen or more of these to give out to family and friends. Finding wood on this forum has always been great but I haven't been able to find any postings for logs that I can resaw.
Wow, thanks the great response. Good luck in finding the branches!

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
My experience with leaving bark on has not been good. Beetles got in the wood and rendered it pretty much worthless. Had to throw a lot away. You might want to check your pieces to see if you have any evidence of bugs, like piles of frass.

Roy G

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Pecan bark stays on pretty well in my experience.

Traceg

Trace
User
@Fermentorman - Mark, thank you very much for your offer and my apologies that I have not replied sooner. As much as I would love to take that walnut off your hands, I unfortunately don't have the necessary space to store it and I don't have a project upcoming that calls for walnut. Again, thank you very much for the offer!

Ljprice2020

New User
Lindsey
I have walnut log some small some big

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
Some of the tree trimming companies have customers that buy their larger cutoffs for firewood, but most of them seem to have to pay to dispose at the dump or at a municipal mulch yard.
If you talk nice to the right tree trimmer, you can sometimes have more green wood than you can use delivered to your driveway.

Also, many of the woodturning clubs have door prizes that often include log sections.
agree

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I have some sycamore that has the ends painted and has been sitting on the cement apron in front of my shop for a few years. It still has bark. You are welcome to come get some. I am north of Spring Lake.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS