Wanted: larger bandsaw

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Alrighty, I currently have a WEN 10" bandsaw and it is a great little machine and that has been chopping oak, maple, gum, elm, walnut, etc without too much difficulty. However, it doesn't have more than a 5-6" throat so I am limited on some of what I can cut. Combined with limited HP because of its size I would like to find something with a little more oomph.

I am looking for a used 18-20" band saw that is reasonable priced. Most of the 14" I have seen will not really give me any more throat space. Maybe the newer models give more now but those are quite pricey. The larger bandsaw would give more throat space as well as HP. What is reasonably priced? I don't know exactly that is but I do know that most of what I see is older 14" bandsaws (usually Delta) for $400-500 and that doesn't strike me as good pricing when decent new ones start at $700-800 in that size range but the more gooder ones at $1,200+. The point is a 20+ year old saw with a limited throat is not what I am looking for.

So, maybe this is wishful thinking or foolish hopes that someone is dumping one off. Realistically I would love to have something that cuts in the 12-14" (at least) throat cutting capacity and anticipate it will have to be a new model I save up for. Any input or pointing towards possibly purchase opportunities would be appreciated. More HP is obviously more better as well. Ok, rambling is now over.

One more note: I would be re-sawing and making turning blanks as the primary function of this toy, I mean tool.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Finding a used one may be hard as that is what we all eventually want to wind up with. I do like my C-14 Harvey 3 HP, but probably not as big as you want. Griz has a 19 for 2K. Probably hard to beat size/price for new. Maybe some old industrial one with a 3 phase motor, then for $500 or so, you can drop in a cheap single phase.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Finding a used one may be hard as that is what we all eventually want to wind up with. I do like my C-14 Harvey 3 HP, but probably not as big as you want. Griz has a 19 for 2K. Probably hard to beat size/price for new. Maybe some old industrial one with a 3 phase motor, then for $500 or so, you can drop in a cheap single phase.

I saw Laguna has renovated their 14" to where it has a 3HP motor and 13" throat capacity for $2,000. I may just save up for something like that, dunno.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Yeah, Gotta keep looking if you go used. FYI, if it has a 3 hp 3 ph or less and is a 230/460 motor, then you can get a decent VFD to drive off 220 single phase. If the motor is larger, then the VFD costs go up quite a bit.
Otherwise look for new.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I saw Laguna has renovated their 14" to where it has a 3HP motor and 13" throat capacity for $2,000. I may just save up for something like that, dunno.
Laguna, Rikon ,and HARVEY all make very good 14 inch 3 HP. Look at the Harvey. I believe it to be the class leader and is quite a bit less expensive. I was not impressed by Jet, Powermatic, or Grizzly.

There have been several threads and reviews of 14 inch class here and on Lumberjocks. I suggest you search them out and read carefully. If you want to look at mine, you are welcome. Differences are small. After all, the basic design has not changed in 200 years. Guide adjustment, mass of the trunnion etc.

If you do find an older one, be sure you can get tires and at least cool-blocks for it. Other than that, the blade does the work.

TBoomz

New User
Ron
ever had one of those moments were you thought you'd a conversation w/someone, but now are no longer sure?
anyway,here's my
Parks Century bandsaw i'm looking to sell...asking $700. 30" wheels 3PH diehl motor.... access to motor is easy enuff to switch out.
7' at tallest 25" side to side ...length from front of table to back of motor ledge = 54"

Attachments

• SAM_0945.JPG
    SAM_0945.JPG
    271.2 KB · Views: 134
  • SAM_0947.JPG
    SAM_0947.JPG
    270.5 KB · Views: 136
  • SAM_0948.JPG
    SAM_0948.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 134
  • SAM_0949.JPG
    SAM_0949.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 132

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Just another thought the grizzly G0555 series with the 6" riser block will resaw up to almost 12". It only has a 1hp motor though

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I have a 20" Delta I would part with. It is 220V new Leeson motor on it. Its a heavy beast too, turn it oand you dont know its running. Came out of a school in SC.

Attachments

• IMG_0272.JPG
    IMG_0272.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0273.JPG
    IMG_0273.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 125

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS