Wanted: Hard Maple or Beech

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
Hey y'all,

Got a little butcher block project I'm doing for a friend. I was originally going to use Beech, since I have a 2x10 of it and figured I could get the rest of what I need from Capital City or the Hardwood store. As it turns out, Capital City is out of 8/4 and isn't getting any more. I don't think the hardwood store is has it at all. Anyone in the triangle got any they want to sell me? I basically need another 2x10x8. Or enough to make a 16x44 glue up out of 2x1-1/2 strips. Also considering scraping the beech idea and going with hard maple, if anyone has a bunch of 8/4.

Thanks!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
American Beech lumber is nearly impossible to find around here. DAMHIKT.

The Hardwood Store has 8/4 hard Maple for 5.35/bf and you'll need about 12bf.

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
I think what I've got is European beech? It's whatever wooden hand planes are made of. It's honey colored and has that really distinct grain pattern that you see on wooden planes. I've seen american beech at one local mill I go to but it was very white.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I think what I've got is European beech? It's whatever wooden hand planes are made of. It's honey colored and has that really distinct grain pattern that you see on wooden planes. I've seen american beech at one local mill I go to but it was very white.
Unsure of the exact species (I couldn't tell Am from Euro beech if I had to, without further education), but almost certain I saw 8/4 Beech back at Cap City Lumber this morning - in case you are still interested.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Just got some great maple from Klingspor in Cary, I think they're still closed on Sundays.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
... Klingspor in Cary, I think they're still closed on Sundays.
That's what the posted hours said when I was in there this week - closed on Sundays. I have no idea whether Taylor still needs anything as the original post was more than a year ago

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have some live edge beech slabs, if interested pm me you # and I'll give you a call.
Ricky, where are you and how thick are the beech slabs?
Do you have any "short" pieces? (Think 9" plus long) for planes or plane handles / totes

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS