Wanted - Construction lumber scraps - Greensboro/High Point Area

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
I know this may sound like a strange request, but a good friend of mine is into beekeeping, and is making his own woodware. In this quest, he needs some 2x4, 2x8, or 2x10 pine to make frame sides, and some 2x4 pine to make the frame tops and bottoms.

Since the price of framing lumber is at an all-time silly high price, and the fact that you can't find a straight piece of framing lumber these days, he started looking at housing developments under construction, and while there are a few still running, he is not allowed to dumpster dive (liability issues cited) for the scraps.

If you have access or know of anyone tossing KD pine in the 2xX range (8" for sides, roughly 20" for the tops and bottoms), please drop me a note and I'll pass this along to him.

If you know of any dry pine in the 2x range available in the GSO/HP area, that is another option ... a quick check of the local sawmills shows only green pine (if any is available).

Thanks and regards,

Rick

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Look for commercial roofing going in. The pallets are 8 ft long usually made of Hem fir or pine. But they are free.

blazeman45

Steve
Senior User
I have a ton of hardwood scraps that is free for the taking with most being 8/4 already planed. Pleasant Garden

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Why is he interested in 2x material? All the hives I have seen are made out of 1" stuff.

Roy G

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
Hi Roy,

Good question. He is making the internal frames that hold brood and honey. These parts are made from 1-1/2" wide stock and have end-grain dados cut top and bottom. The pieces are then sliced from the stock and the necking down profile is cut on individual pieces. While not super expensive to buy, the quality varies, and he'd like to have some control.

While he can purchase framing lumber, finding straight framing lumber is difficult. As most construction sites have dumpsters to haul off scraps (including framing lumber offcuts), there is little construction going on right now where anyone will let you dumpster dive.

It was a long shot to ask here, but I figured I had nothing to lose, and if someone had a lead they'd share it.

Steve's fine offer of hardwood scraps is wonderful, but hardwoods tend to push the hive weight up rapidly. SPF lumber has been used without bad effects in a LOT of hives and I don't think my friend is ready to experiment in that direction (thanks again Steve!).

Regards,

Rick

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS