Wanted - Bench top Drill Press - Minimum 1/2 hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Pete, I have four drill presses for sanding the car bodies. They are the ones that were used in the workshop at Klingspor. You are more than welcome to borrow one. Bruce

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
Thanks Bruce, I may take you up on the offer. I was hoping someone here may have one that are not using
and wanted to clean out of their shop - for sale.
However, would it be possible to bring one to the picnic and I will return to your place when I finish.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Ron
I've got a little Ryobi that I've not used in a very long time holding down the corner of my shop. Are you going to be at the picnic?

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Drill presses are not made for sanding. Bearings are not made for side loads and no dust collection.
I have a WEN oscillating sander I just replaced with a Ridgid available cheap here in Hillsborough.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Drill presses are not made for sanding. Bearings are not made for side loads and no dust collection.
Actually it is the self-holding taper connections that are susceptible to side load problems. Most drill presses have routine Conrad type bearings that are made for side loads such as table saw arbors. The older Jacobs 633C (now 34-33C) chuck with the screw on holder solved that problem at least as far back as the 1950s.
Sanding drums will occasionally shake loose the taper fit of a chuck, but moderate use and load pressure usually doesn't pose a big problem. Locking the quill is a big help.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
FYI, the sanding that is done on these drill presses is flap wheel sanding. I know for a fact that here are over nine hundred bodies all total to be sanded

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
The original request of this post was to PURCHASE a bench top Drill press of at least 1//2 hp.
My apologies for adding the usage planned. Moderator - please close this post !!!
Now I can back to opening my paint cans with my wood chisel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS