Wanted: 100 amp underground service line

Status
Not open for further replies.

buildintechie

New User
Jeff
Anybody have an idea where I could get my hands on about 125 feet of underground aluminum 2-2-4-6 or copper 4-4-6-8? I need it to run my new service to the shop...to replace the 15 amp service that is out there now (kinda hard to run a table saw, lights, and AC on 15 amps, let alone a 220 dust collector).

I've tried craiglist, gotten some hits but they didnt pan out.

Thanks!!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Jeff, I have some 4/0 direct bury tri-plex, but that may be more than you're looking for...

Scott

buildintechie

New User
Jeff
At this point I'm trying to find something cheaper than the $1.85/LF the Sheperd Electric wants to charge me...don't know what you're willing to let that wire go.

I'm also curious how large a wire the 100amp breaker I purchased can accept. I'm at work at the fire department right now so I cna't take a peak at it.

Glennbear

Glenn
Have you considered individual conductors in PVC conduit ? When I ran 100 amp service to my detached shop I bought wire at the BORG which was AL conductors with the proper ampacity twisted together. I had to dig a ditch anyway and even with the additional cost/labor of using the conduit it was still a better deal than using UF cable on a per foot basis in my opinion. This also gave me a little bit more protection from physical damage as opposed to the UF cable. :wsmile:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
At this point I'm trying to find something cheaper than the $1.85/LF the Sheperd Electric wants to charge me...don't know what you're willing to let that wire go.

I'm also curious how large a wire the 100amp breaker I purchased can accept. I'm at work at the fire department right now so I cna't take a peak at it.

4/0 is rated for 200A of service, and it may not fit in your 100A breaker.

I have a 1000' spool with several hundred feet left over on it from a project. I wouldn't mind selling some at my cost (which was below wholesale), but it would be more than $1.85 a foot...

Glenn's advice is pretty good. Good luck with your project!

Scott

ps - I found that City Electric Supply (CES) usually beats Shepards price significantly.

Glennbear

Glenn
I do not know how much you know about adding a subpanel but I feel I would be remiss if I did not point out a couple areas where some folks falter. If using AL wire panel connections must be coated with anti corrosion compound. On a sub panel the ground and neutral bars must be seperated. A fantastic resource book written by a practicing local electrician (as opposed to a desk jockey) is "Wiring a house" by Rex Cauldwell published by Taunton Press. Mr. Cauldwell's philosophy is to wire "above code" when based upon his experience the NEC is remiss. Having spent some years in the fire service including some time as an inspector I like his approach. :wsmile:

FlyingRon

Ron
Sounds like a separate structure, you'll also need to have a grounding system at the structure. If you go with conduit, make sure whatever conductors you are using are wet rated. From the original request for the wire, sounds like you are intending to run 4 conductors, which is now required by the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS