Want to build something similar to this bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Looks like you could get an industrial table base and a piece of pipe to use as a sleeve.
Should not be to hard to fabricate. An older drafting table might be a good parts donor. Cobble together some sort of locking spinner and use the tables tilt mechanism.

Good luck. It looks like a useful tool for carvers.

PS: I seem to remember something similar in the way of a universal carving post in an early FWW issue. Maybe someone can find it?

Mark.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Replying to myself - I just had an inspiration! An upside down office chair with casters removed and a piece of 1" hardwood ply bolted to it. Hmmm...

CarvedTones

Andy
Now we are getting somewhere! A similar stand can be found for less:

http://www.amazon.com/HTC-HGP-10-Bench-Grinder-Stand/dp/B0001LQXM2

Yes, it looks significantly lighter built but claims a 500# capacity. I can probably find something in between with more searching.

There are fixed height grinder stands for even less, but they seem to be too low. I want the surface at roughly 40" when it is horizontal.

EDIT - add this:

http://www.amazon.com/Rockler-Adjus...ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1224692769&sr=1-1

with a top on it and IF it is heavy duty enough that would be the shoestring version.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Andy, I have several restaurant table bases that are very heavy duty that would work well for a base. It would be easy enough to make and add a tilting top. The best part is the base is yours for the asking; you only have to come and get it, Dino

CarvedTones

Andy
Hmm - how tall are these bases? My aim is to have the top surface at about 40" when it is horizontal.

CarvedTones

Andy
Dino,

Wow - that would be great if I can get it here.

Pete,

The rotation would be nice. On a current project, I am working on what is basically the sides of a box, trying to get matching (or mirror image) carvings on the sides. Once I get better at it, I can do one side and then the other to match. But right now I need to flip back and forth in case I need to make an adjustment because of a random variation I introduced. If I make them match, it looks right. :)

CarvedTones

Andy
Jim,

I though about that, but I am not sure it will stand up to the pounding. The lazy susan says it is rated for up to 1000#, which sounds like plenty, but that is straight down, not side to side. To get full functionality, I would need 2 lazy susans - one on either side of the hinge. But just having the one above the hinge would be okay. Do you think it would handle the side pressure? Imagine it tilted to 60 degrees and mallet work being done on the side of what is attached.

I have another idea that may work out. I don't need infinite adjustability. As far as spinning goes, if I could only do it in 90 degree intervals, that would be okay. As far as tiliting goes, if I just had 0, 30 and 60 degrees, that would be fine. I don't think I need tilting in any direction except toward the front. I could put one square as the table top with angle iron on all 4 edges to hold another square in place on top of it. The dog hole patterns would have to be arranged carefully so they always lined up. Then I could use chocks with "nubs" that fit in dog holes to support it when tilted.

striker

New User
Stephen

MT native

New User
Jane
Andy,
I have been researching different carving stands for some weeks now. I too like the Lee Valley stand but before you make the leap check out Woodcarvingillustrated.com's Slivers&Dust Carving Stand he built. http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/forum/f52/carving-stand-now-11386/
He has several threads with similar titles related to this project and the step-by-step work he did.
I will be posting my WIP's for my Homemade Foredom Relief Carving Jig and Relief Carving Easel soon, so stay tuned.
Jane

CarvedTones

Andy
Andy,
I have been researching different carving stands for some weeks now. I too like the Lee Valley stand but before you make the leap check out Woodcarvingillustrated.com's Slivers&Dust Carving Stand he built. http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/forum/f52/carving-stand-now-11386/
He has several threads with similar titles related to this project and the step-by-step work he did.
I will be posting my WIP's for my Homemade Foredom Relief Carving Jig and Relief Carving Easel soon, so stay tuned.
Jane

That is interesting. I wonder about this arrangement:

10080d1170215164-carving-stand-now-hpim1282.jpg

It seems like that might be a little rickety for mallet work.

The relief easel has some great ideas on it:

10084d1170215294-carving-stand-now-hpim1288.jpg

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS