Want to Borrow a 1" roundover bit

DustinS

New User
Dustin
Does anyone around Raleigh have a 1" roundover bit I could borrow for an afternoon. I am looking to cut an edge profile on a table base but don't see enough future use to spend money on it. They seem to get pretty expensive at these sizes. MLCS has one for 30$ but shipping is 2 weeks and the wife is getting antsy for me to finish. I'm happy to pay sharpening cost (10$ish?) to borrow.

Also, if anyone has experience with these, is it better to use a router table or could I just use the router. I do not have a router table but have never used a bit this size.

Here is my goal (endgrain red oak):
KitchenTable (3).png

Thanks!

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have two new 1" roundover (1/2" radius) and a 1 1/2" roundover. All are 1/2 shaft bits. You can borrow what you need. I am in NE Raleigh.

cobraguy

Clay
Corporate Member
Two observations
1 - I would take Phil up on his offer if it works for you
2 - never pass up an opportunity to buy a new toy (I mean tool), especially if the boss is pushing for results
2a - Klingspor, a great sponsor of this forum, has a 1" roundover for about $20 - depending on your location, you could even save shipping (time & $$) by buying directly from one of their stores https://www.woodworkingshop.com/category.aspx?id=50&f1=ROUND+OVER&f2=1"

DustinS

New User
Dustin
I forget how awesome this community is.

I was actually looking for a 1” radius bit which are above 100$ from the ones I’ve seen. But the 1-1/2 (3/4”R?) may be large enough if I can’t find a 1”R.

As for buying new tools, I am totally with you. I have spent more at Klingspors than I would like to admit recently. But 100$ saved on an potentially unused router bit is 100$ to the bandsaw fund...

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
May I suggest an alternate
Clamp the legs together an then run them thru a table saw at a couple of angles making a faceted curve. Then finish with a hand plane

or a trip to my shop and we would be done in an hour

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS