Want a finish to pop the grain in QS Red Oak

Status
Not open for further replies.

truckjohn

New User
John
Hey all,

My next guitar project is going to be another small body acoustic.
Back and sides will be QS red oak I resawed out of a larger board.

I am looking for finishing suggestions for really popping the ray flecks and the grain/color in the wood. I want to be able to see it from a distance.

On the last guitar -- I just used amber shellac under Behlens Rock Hard varnish and it came out beautiful... but that was Cherry.

Thanks

John

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'm partial to Zinsser SealCoat clear shellac (1# cut); it doesn't impart that typical yellow tint that's found in oil based finishes so red oak stays red. Waterlox "Original" looks pretty good as a top coat, but that's just my personal preference.

Whatever you choose keep us posted on the outcome and send a few pics. Good luck. :icon_cheers

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
You could try flaming a scrap piece and see if you like the look.

Using a small propane torch, very lightly burn the surface of the wood. The softer wood scorches faster than the harder ray flecks and enhances the grain pattern. If you over do it just sand lightly with 220. Trick is to keep the flame moving evenly and not too much. You can go darker around the edges if you like.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I think that you can buy a flame diffusion attachment for the ole Bernz-O-Matic torch. It'd help to spread out the heat over a broader area at any given point. :dontknow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS