Want a Butcher Block Counter Top

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
This is not for me but a co-worker. He is looking to buy five 8' sections by 26 inches wide by 2 inches thick. If you would like to quote him for this endeavor let me know and I will provide you with his contact info.

EDIT: Maybe, I didn't make my original statement clear enough. My co-worker wants to BUY these counter tops and if any of you are interested in making them for him, let me know and I will provide you with his contact info. I do not have the equipment nor the time to invest in this project.

Last edited:

Gilley23

New User
Bryan
I just finished my kitchen....went with cherry. Turned out absolutely beautiful but it was definitely more work than I thought that it would be.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Congrats and kudos to you! How about a few pics of your handiwork in progress?

five 8' sections by 26 inches wide by 2 inches thick.

Maybe not this extravagant but how big are yours?

Gilley23

New User
Bryan
Congrats and kudos to you! How about a few pics of your handiwork in progress?

Maybe not this extravagant but how big are yours?

I used two 12' X 25" X 1.5" slabs and cut them to fit. I'll post up some pictures tonight or tomorrow morning. Went with 45° mitered corners instead of just straight across cuts. That ate up more linear feet but it was worth it, IMO.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
The Hardwood store in Gibsonville has a wide belt planer/sander with a very reasonable shop rate. If I build something wide or heavy, I generally glue up 12" panels, surface on my planer and glue the sections together.
I just completed a workbench top 5' x 23" x 3" thick made of ash. I just scraped the glue lines. The piece was extremely heavy. The Hardwood Store surfaced it for a nominal fee and they were finished before I had finished looking at the lumber. The top was relatively flat as they only had to remove 1/32" from each side. The top is sanded to 120 grit and just needs some minor sanding to be ready for finish.

Gilley23

New User
Bryan
Quick shot of the business side:

20180206_062456~01.jpg

Filled in any voids with epoxy/transtint then finished with three coats of Waterlox sealer/semi-gloss then 3 or 4 more of satin.

JEHenslee

New User
Janice
I put dark walnut butcher block in my kitchen and love them. I got them at Flooranddecor. Price wise it seemed like I would not save much at all or any if I tried to make them myself. They have all kinds of wood choices you can order but I just went with dark walnut because I wanted dark counters and they have them in stock. I just went, picked up, measured and re-measured for about 5 days, cut, put a food grade marine finish on them and then waited until someone showed up at the farm that could help me install them and my farm sink. The waiting for someone to show up that happened to have the skill and time to install took the longest. Luckily I measured pretty well. Only risk and problem with pre-cutting before installing and finishing is my walls were not square and we had to jimmy it a bit to get everything lined up but it worked.

I think if you but stock pre-made you will get 25" and 1.5" thick. I bought 2 8'L 25"W 1.5" thick pieces and had some left over I am going to make a table out of. Here is a link to the selection:

https://www.flooranddecor.com/wood-butcher-block-countertops

I have attached a picture. Please excuse the mess in my kitchen and it is still under remodel that is going at a snails pace. Next up a concrete countertop on the island.

I love floor and decor I want to move in there., but lumber liquidators has them too.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20180214_124902.jpg
    20180214_124902.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 190

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
They also build bench/table tops. I had them make my workbench top and delivered for me after selecting the wood.

I don't see it advertised on their website. You can have your co-worker call them to get a quote and if he goes through you the 10% ncww discount applies to the lumber. :)

The Hardwood store in Gibsonville has a wide belt planer/sander with a very reasonable shop rate. If I build something wide or heavy, I generally glue up 12" panels, surface on my planer and glue the sections together.
I just completed a workbench top 5' x 23" x 3" thick made of ash. I just scraped the glue lines. The piece was extremely heavy. The Hardwood Store surfaced it for a nominal fee and they were finished before I had finished looking at the lumber. The top was relatively flat as they only had to remove 1/32" from each side. The top is sanded to 120 grit and just needs some minor sanding to be ready for finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS