Wanna break something...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
17487ae185fbc5f85d4a8c438ef5be1d.jpg

This scary looking thing is the Dead On 18-Inch Annihilator Utility and Wrecking Bar. It is used for demolition and general purposes. It is kind of a Swiss Army Knife of hammers with many uses: Hammer, Nail Puller, Board Straightener Drywall Demolition Axe, Wrench, Tile Puller/Ripper, Wire Stripper, and Bottle Opener. It weighs in at almost 4 pounds.

Besides intimidating innocent 2x4’s and drywall, this hammer is great. I have used it for day-to-day woodwork and for building heavy-duty items for use by Marines. It is balanced relatively well and provides tons of leverage for driving large caliber nails and for pulling stuck fasteners. The claw works as well as any other hammer and has a drywall axe and wire stripper directly below it. The combination wrench/nail puller/spike is very effective for pulling fasteners as long as you don’t mind damage to your work piece. The spike will dig in and cause some major damage when pulling a nail, but keep in mind that this thing was designed for destruction.

The bottle opener is located directly under the face of the hammer and is totally unnecessary and gratuitous, therefore I love it. I mean, what is cooler than opening a beer with a demolition hammer tagged with skulls?

What would I change? The handle needs work. It has a plastic grip with Dead On printed on it, but it has no contour. I can honestly say that it has never slipped, but something closer to the Stanly Fubar Handle would be ideal.

Overall, I love this thing. I wouldn’t use it for delicate work, crown moldings, or tiny finish nails. That isn’t what it is designed for. But for day to day carpentry and a lot of my woodworking, it is my go to hammer. It has earned a place in my tool belt, and I expect to be using it well into the future.

Product Link:
http://www.deadonstore.com/index.html

Glennbear

Glenn
That thing adds new meaning to the term "serious tool". :gar-La; Back when I was in the fire service our destructive tool of choice was the Halligan tool. This tool was designed by and named after a FDNY fire officer way back in 1948. As a testament to it's usefulness emergency workers are still buying it in several variants today. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halligan_bar :wsmile:

Dragon

New User
David
That thing adds new meaning to the term "serious tool". :gar-La; Back when I was in the fire service our destructive tool of choice was the Halligan tool. This tool was designed by and named after a FDNY fire officer way back in 1948. As a testament to it's usefulness emergency workers are still buying it in several variants today. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halligan_bar :wsmile:
Ha ha Glen, you got that right. The Halligan is a much respected tool and you can gain access to just about anything you need to get into or out of.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Interesting..it has a couple more functions than my Stanley Fubar, although they are head to head competitors. Not sure I would want to try stripping wires with a 4# wirestripper tho.

It looks like it could double as an ice-climbing axe tho.

My one 'complaint' about the Fubar is that I wished I'd bought it with a longer shaft. The 'oversized hatchet' version I have (looks like the same size as the Dead On) is short on leverage sometimes, like when you need to pry apart a sistered 2x. Is the Dead On any better ?

-Mark

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Man that thing is wicked - does it come with a secret stash compartment? You know a place for a hook, line and sinker? Because I just bought one, they got me, I took the bait.. hook, line and sinker...

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
Interesting..it has a couple more functions than my Stanley Fubar, although they are head to head competitors. Not sure I would want to try stripping wires with a 4# wirestripper tho.

It looks like it could double as an ice-climbing axe tho.

My one 'complaint' about the Fubar is that I wished I'd bought it with a longer shaft. The 'oversized hatchet' version I have (looks like the same size as the Dead On) is short on leverage sometimes, like when you need to pry apart a sistered 2x. Is the Dead On any better ?

-Mark

Yes and no. You can get a bunch of leverage if you can get the annihilator between 2x material. It depends how they are put together. The fubar works great when you use the claw opposite the hammer head to slam and jam between the pieces. I have the large and small fubars and the annihilator ("Hi. My name is Chris, and I am addicted to cool hammers." Everyone "Hi Chris..."), so I just switch out depending on the job.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I LOVE my halligan bar! Coupled with a Denver tool if we can't get in or out lets hope we don't need to.
I got my halligan from a police officer friend of mine. He went to the tow lot to get some pictures of a wreck he worked and found it wedged in holding the hood up. He took it to the FD that worked the wreck and they denied it was their tool! (another common thing I'm finding - too much pride to accept making a mistake)
Their loss was my gain.

mtnfyre

New User
Bradley
halligan bars are one of the most versitale tools in the fire service. you can use them for forceable entry, forcibable exit and dang near anything in between.

you can also use them for a anchor when old man fire says you need to leave fast and you have to bail out.

wonder how they would match up.

however i think i will stick with my halligan and axe commonly know as the irons.

stay safe.
Bear:kamahlitu

Dragon

New User
David
I LOVE my halligan bar! Coupled with a Denver tool if we can't get in or out lets hope we don't need to.
I got my halligan from a police officer friend of mine. He went to the tow lot to get some pictures of a wreck he worked and found it wedged in holding the hood up. He took it to the FD that worked the wreck and they denied it was their tool! (another common thing I'm finding - too much pride to accept making a mistake)
Their loss was my gain.

Cool score there Cap.! Those things are bringing some pretty stiff prices on EBAY here lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors