wana be wood turner

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanmarman2007

New User
Jody
any tips on starting out turning wood. Pretty much self taught on all the other things I do, but this one is kicking my back side. My tools feel sharp maybe not sharp enough. Maybe oak is the wrong wood to learn on. But just trying to go from square to round is a feat its self. The wood looks likes it has been knurled and chewed up. I'm about to give up.
thanks, Jody

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I may be able to help, want to get together and see if I can pinpoint the problem? I'm 20 miles East of Mt. Airy.

cskipper

Cathy
I'm sure that Mike will be able to help you work through the process. It is much easier if someone else can show you techniques of both sharpening tools and turning. Please let us know how it goes, and please post pictures.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike has turned some great pieces. I sure hope you take advantage for his kind offer. I would not start off with oak. Try maple or poplar.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Welcome to the dark side of woodworking. once you're in the vortex, there's no escape
If there is anyway you can, take Mike up on his offer. Being self taught, I can assure you that someone else can point out so many things you COULD be doing better (notice I didn't say you are doing anything wrong?) Bad habits are impossible to break when you don't know you're doing them. A few minutes with some knowledgeable help can make frustration into joy.
Sharp tools, proper sharpening, speed selection, and practice practice practice are some of the key elements to turning.
While any wood can be turned,oak isn't a wood normally recommended for learning but if it is what you got then turn it!
read anything you can find on turning, watch as much video as you can, maybe find a local turning club, some woodworking stores offer classes, - did I mention practice practice practice??
Whatever you do, make sure it stays fun!

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
As said Mike would be a great teacher:icon_thum.If the oak piece your talking about is your "first" piece it would help to try a "tight" grain wood.Like CaptA said there is really no wrong way just BETTER ways:wink_smil.Good luck and welcome to the DARK SIDE.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Jody, I would definitely take Mike up on his offer. When I first started turning, I went over to DaveO's house a few times and he taught me a lot about turning bowls. Then when I started turning pens, I went over to Skeeter's place and he showed me how to do that. It really helps to just see someone else do it. The list of things it could be is endless. To me, it sounds like you might either be using the wrong tool or that it isn't sharp enough (or both). What is it that you're trying to turn? If it's something fairly large that you're trying to turn from square to round, you would probably want to use a roughing gouge. And make sure your tools are SHARP. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
Make sure you hit the Economy turning bins at Woodcraft and the Woodworking Shop....I usually make a run every 2 weeks and grab some "practice blocks"...they range from $1 to $5 - a whole lot less expensive to practice on.

gsdoby

New User
Gary
I may be able to help I live near Mt Airy also. Send a message or PM me and I will let you in on my experience. I would try some other woods . What type of lathe do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS