Walnut?

ste6168

New User
Mike
Ignoring the distastefully added "live edge" - Is this walnut? All of the walnut I have seen, and worked with, is typically darker. Closer to what is just inside the sap wood on the edge. I have never worked with butternut, could it be that, instead? Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_3157.jpeg
    IMG_3157.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 335

bbrown

Bill
User
Agree with Fred. Boiled linseed oil can darken it nicely. Any oil would work, but I like BLO.

ste6168

New User
Mike
It's walnut. Could be it was steamed.

Steamed? Not familiar with that process, what is the reasoning/what does it do? Assuming that causes it do lose some color?

This piece is finished, assuming it was sprayed with a conversion vanish. It is a piece at an "amish furniture" distributer.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Its walnut for sure, what is it youre trying to do with it? You can easly dye the entire piece to a more uniform color.

ste6168

New User
Mike
Its walnut for sure, what is it youre trying to do with it? You can easly dye the entire piece to a more uniform color.

I am not looking to do anything with it, really. We we're out shopping for furniture, and this was a display they had in store, walnut buffet. Just the color seemed odd. Not buying the piece, just was wondering. We are considering buying dining chairs, and building a table. Just was more of a curiosity question, than anything.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Its pretty low grade walnut with sapwood, pith channels, and open knots. Some sort of filler has been used in the surface defects.
If the wood has been there for a while, it will lighten up but that distinctive sapwood contrast will never go away. Had the surface been finished with linseed oil, the heartwood would appear much darker and take many more years to lighten up.
Some people like those defects and find them interesting. Its a good use of inexpensive walnut lumber.

tiswritten

Tis
User
Definitely UNSTEAMED Walnut. The steaming process darkens the heartwood and turns the natural golden/yellow sapwood a light to medium brown to lessen the contrast between the heartwood and sapwood.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS